PDA

View Full Version : Baby food...?

Ken Bartenfeld
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I am curious, got did get 3lbs of the Gargoyle Diet with 30% protein, but was curious, I heard baby food was good for them too...now on the back of these it says, "Refridgerate after opening, use within 3 days"...whats up with that?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d95/KenBartenfeld/IMG_1253.jpg

Opinions would be much appreciated!

Haroldo
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Ken, I have come to generally think of most babyfoods as treats. Many of them are too high in sugar to be offered regularly imo. However if you insist on using babyfood, get a high protein, low sugar diet such as chicken bla bla bla. As far as the 3 day thing, yeah babyfood starts to go bad pretty quickly. I wouldn't advise using it past the recommendation of 3 days. On the flipside, I think yogurt is a much healthier alternative and I have used the same yogurt for over a week with no evidence of goiing bad. Just my 2cents

Nathan Hall
03-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I give my Eurydactylodes peach baby food about once a week. I mix Rep-Cal and Herptivite in the baby food. It is a great treat for them. They relish it. I assume you are talking about Eurydactylodes since you don't have any Rhacs.

GeckoFiend
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I just inherited some prune baby food from my sister, as my nephew is onto bigger/better things. Will prunes have a laxative effect on Rhacs?

Ken Bartenfeld
03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Yea Nate, talking about the Eurys...I was going to use it...but I dunno, that whole thing about it going bad in 3 days isn't really worth it. Who knows...

You really stand by your Rep-Cal ;-)

cookreptiles
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
i mix a small amount of plain fat free yogurt into the cgd that i give my cresteds. i have also used peach and strawberry banana yogurt which they loved. i only give baby food as a very occassional treat because of the high sugar content. the yogurt does last at least twice as long as baby food which is a lot more convenient.

Ken Bartenfeld
03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
And then you can at least eat the yogurt...heh, I won't even try this baby food! I know someone, ahem...that will eat the CGD, lol! Lets see if he reads this and owns up to it ;-)

cookreptiles
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
my cat eats the cgd if i mix it with yogurt. i can't say i've ever tried it myself though! :lol:

clint545
03-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I make my own fruit mixture, from fresh fruit. I'll blend it all up, portion out what I use a night, and then freeze each batch. That way you don't have to worry about using it up in 3 days and you have a bit more control over the sugar levels...

GeckoFiend
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
cgd and ggd don't taste very good, but they are edible. :roll:

cookreptiles
03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
my husband found a batch of cgd in the fridge recently and threw it out because he thought it was something really old and gross that had rotted into liquid form. :shock:

Precision Herp
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
You leave the CGD in the fridge? For some reason when I do it becomes very watery... Do you leave it in an enclosed container or an open one?

cookreptiles
03-02-2006, 11:49 PM
enclosed or covered with foil. i also mix some plain fat free yogurt in which keeps the consistency even.

Precision Herp
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Ohhhh I see , thanks :D

Ken Bartenfeld
03-03-2006, 01:06 AM
How long does it last when you mix the CGD up before hand and leave it in the fridge?

cookreptiles
03-03-2006, 01:10 AM
hmm, maybe a week? it might last longer if you just mix plain cgd and water. it never lasts more than a few days around here at most so i'm not sure exactly. you can also freeze it in ice cube trays and just thaw and serve as needed.

Ken Bartenfeld
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
This is when you have alot of Rhacs I am assuming then, and primarily use this to feed them or what?

you can also freeze it in ice cube trays and just thaw and serve as needed.

Great Idea! :idea:

cookreptiles
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
i feed primarily cgd but also crickets once or twice a week as well. i mix up a batch of it and whatever is leftover i put in the refridgerator and give that to hatchlings and gravid females if they finish their dishes of food the first night. any leftover from that i add to the batch the next time i make it which is usually within the next few days.

Ken Bartenfeld
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I thought, I bought those little sweet ledges from pangeareptile.com (think thats the site) and you know those little 1oz cups your suppose to use, what abot pre-doing as many as possible in the cups and freezing them? The paper wouldn't freeze, but the baby food would, then you would just have to leave it out for prob like 30 mins to dethaw (?) and bam...?

clint545
03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
That seems like a good idea Ken! I'd just keep them in a airtight container just to prevent freezer burn:)

Ken Bartenfeld
03-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Ahhh, good idea...I still done understand that freezer burn, I think I have an idea though. Maybe get a like ziploc or gladware container, the cheap ones you can buy for like nothing...those white 1oz cups and cut a thin cardboard to place on top of the 1oz cups you have in the gladware (should be able to fit 15-20) then do the same...then add another piece of cardboard, and cups...cardboard...and so on...you would probably have about 100 or so cups premade ready do defrost and use!!!