PDA

View Full Version : mites

ringsX12
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I just noticed that there are mites in my tokay cage. they don't seem to be bothering the tokays, but don't want to give them a chance. my snake had them once and i had some mite spray that could be applied directly to the reptile according to the directions.....but snakes don't lick their eyes. do you think it is unsafe for geckos?

cliff_f
03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Spray some of the mite spray and spray it on a paper towel, washcloth,ect....and wipe it on the tokay and make sure you dont get any on the head so it wont get any in its mouth.

the moof
03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
doesnt it run the risk of licking its back or tail then though? these geckos are known to reach even the most unlikely of places on their bodies...

regards,
*the moof*

ringsX12
03-14-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm just gonna clean the whole cage again. start over. it's fun and relaxing for me and the geckos don't seem to stress at all if i move stuff around. some one told me to try mite cans that he used when his bird had mites. it lost all feathers and then he hung the can in its cage and no more mites. he said it got rid of them and keeps them from returning.

ringsX12
03-14-2006, 01:43 AM
also....the mites are not on the geckos. they are all over the poop, and if i put wax worms in the cage the mites eat up what the toks dont. they almost seem to be cleaning the cage. but i still dont want them in there.

the moof
03-14-2006, 01:37 PM
make sure they are not getting into the geckos, as this could be even more disatorous. and i dont know about the bird thing. i guess you could give it a shot, but it does seem rather a high risk to run.

regards,
*the moof*

Protean
03-15-2006, 05:40 PM
What you are talking about is not a mite. Take your gecko into a well lighted room, like your bathroom, and look closely around the eyes, vent region and arm pits, if there are any black or red bugs stuck in those regions - your gecko has mites. Several of us here can help to inform you how to clean your cage and your animal.

If the bugs are only in the soil, they are a type of cleaner bg that is good for your cage. they help to reduce the build of fecal matter and organic debris.

Once you've looked over your animal, come back and let us know what you find. It would be a terrible thing to just up and clean your cage and potentially endanger the geckos health by doing something that you may not need to do or be concerned about.

PM me if you have any questions.

Jason

ringsX12
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
thanks jason. i was starting to second guess my first reaction to thinking that the bugs whee mites. seeing as how they were eating the fecal matter and leaving the geckos alone. you just confirmed it for me. thatnks again.

Protean
03-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Your welcome.

jason