PDA

View Full Version : Masobe bad news

Bowfinger
03-13-2006, 12:09 AM
My female died today. I am thinking she was already too damaged to recover so I am not surprised. I might reconsider force feeding on this species next time, or at least make some changes based on her showing signs of this being very stressful (every time she poked me with her tail repeatedly, then played dead).
The good news is the male still shows some promise (he will be the deciding factor if I want to continue trying to establish the species). I might just have to go to Madagascar and do some field research, I hate giving up! Here are shots of him today...
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1990/3120624vu.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1100/3120615df.jpg

oscar
03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
sorry to hear this Shane. good luck with the male and keep trying. they are some absolutely stunning geckos and i would love to see them (and some CB too) become more available in the industry.

Scott

the moof
03-13-2006, 02:44 PM
shame to hear about taht loss! (i certainly proscribe a trip to madagascar, whatever the basis)! best of luck with that male though! he does seem quite nice!

regards,
*the moof*

mat.si
03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi!
I was off-line for a week.
I just came back to the forums today and read the bad news here.
It really makes me sad that the female died, Shane.
And after all the effort you put into them.

I really hope to breed as many masobe as possible. I will keep a large breeding group. They really are quite nervous geckos prone to stress, but I noticed that babies born at my place are much less nervous and shy than the ones I bought.

Regards, Matjaz

Dragonflames81
03-17-2006, 06:59 PM
sorry for your loss, it is an amazing looking gecko

kenya_1977
03-18-2006, 01:47 AM
It's always hard to bring a brink animal back. I'm sorry she didn't work out for you. I really do hope you have better success in other tries.

-Crystal

Coleonyx
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
That sux....if someone here had a business license, we could import some from worldwidefauna.com

kenya_1977
03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
BTW, I don't think it was the forcefeeding that was problematic with this one. Typically, if there is something wrong, feeding an animal that might not feel like feeding could be the only thing that gives them the extra edge to overcome the stress. It's going to be hard to bring any marginal animal back, and feeding in extreme times sometimes gives us that edge. If you didn't have to shove it down her throat, then I don't think that was this issue with this little lady. It just isn't always enough.

Bowfinger
03-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I think she already had some damage from her original problems that she was not able to recover from.

Thanks for the support everyone.

I am still curious what the problem is with these guys. If we are still far off on proper keeping and the strongest are just making it? Or they are a weak species on the verge of extinction?
It is really getting under my skin that they are this hard to keep alive.

Protean
03-20-2006, 12:09 AM
They are a very difficult species to acclimate. They are very similar to Red tailed green rat snakes. They are stress prone and usually fall to pieces when they are weakened. Time and patience is what you need.