PDA

View Full Version : Under. Milii questions

DDReptiles
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Well I feel like a real newb now LOL

What is the average life expectancy of these guys??

I am planning on buying a few juvies from Matt and I was wondering what is the male to female ratio?? How long until hatchlings mature/breed??

How many eggs on average do these guys lay??

On a scale from one to ten how hard are they to breed. I have bred many rhacs, some snakes, and a few other misc. geckos/lizards.

Oh yeah post your pics of yours, if you have any :)

Ken Bartenfeld
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Derek, I am sure if you search milii, you will find most of these questions answered...alot has been said on this forum about them, just gotta do some homework, ya know? :D

And of course I mean this is a good way...bugman has some good post, read those...

DDReptiles
03-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I have read almost every post on them (including the ones by Bugman). I found some cage setup stuff and sexing info, but no real answer to my above questions. Just wondering if anyone can post some answers.

I just bought a male and am about to buy 1 or 2 juvies, and I just want to make sure everything is good before I have them shipped to me. :)

Thanks Derek

Ken Bartenfeld
03-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Id tell you if I knew Derek, sorry...

I know they do produce alot of eggs though...

Jon McMahon
03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
I've always had a few more babies turn out to be male but pretty close to 50/50 for me, incubating around 83. They are very easy to breed, I've never really needed to cool them just introduce the male each spring and they do their thing. They put on quite a display during courtship(lots of running around and tail waging) They are great geckos easy and really nice looking, definitely one of my favorites.

Hope this helped a bit
:)

Ari
03-13-2006, 11:22 PM
There is a guy I know in Victoria who currently has Underwoodisaurus Milli that are 15 years old. Generally 50/50 ratio. Capable of breeding if fed well at 12-14 months of age.

Many people say 5-6 clutches a year, but this depends on cooling, feeding etc etc.

This species is to be cooled at slightly lower temps to alot of other species.

They are probably the easiest & most prolific species around - cooling is very important though - well for Australian raised species that is.

Ari

the moof
03-14-2006, 11:43 AM
of all of the "basic" ground-dwelling species, these do seem to be the prettiest, and most interesting, so i have a few questions to help myself with :P :

can they tollerate very infrequent handling?

do they need largeish terrariums?

where can i find a good caresheet on them?

is anyone bringing them to hamm in september? hopefully im gonna be coming (6 hour train ride :evil: )

regards,
*the moof*

DDReptiles
03-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Moof- from what I have read they are fairly hardy and don't need a huge enclosure. They say an adult milii can be housed in a 10 gal. There are some good posts on caging in old posts.

DDReptiles
03-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Everyone for the help :)

Ari
03-14-2006, 08:18 PM
If you purchase them as juvies & handle them frequently then they easily become very very tame.

E.g. I purchased a few years ago 2x pairs as juvies or neonates. They are that tame that if I put my hand in the tank they walk on it to be taken out. They even come upto the tank face if I walk into the room.

Absolutely great species to work with.

Troy

the moof
03-15-2006, 10:35 AM
well, i must try to get hold of some then!

regards,
*the moof*