PDA

View Full Version : Picture of viper gecko climbing glass

thehypogecko
03-17-2006, 05:45 PM
I came home the other night and I said to myself "What the hell is that on the side of that cage?" Under closer inspection, it turned out to be one of my viper geckos. I didn't know they could climb glass, they have the sticky toes, but they seem to heavy for their size to climb. This guy must be very athletic, lol.

http://www.hypogecko.com/gallery/files/viper/climbing_glass.jpg

the moof
03-18-2006, 04:51 AM
indeed, i have never heard of these climbing. awesome picture!

regards,
*the moof*

hatecrew
03-18-2006, 10:33 AM
i see mine doing it a lot of time. sorry for the very poor quality picture
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/eatcrue/vipertail/IMAG0009.jpg :(

the moof
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
hehe, funny pic.

regards,
*the moof*

sune jensen
03-18-2006, 10:49 AM
They do so quite often althogh they are slow climbers, not agile like hemidactylus etc.
Many ground geckos with reduced adehsive pads can do that, like Diplodactylus vittatus and Geckonia/Tarentola chazaliae

-Sune

the moof
03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
and paradoera *nods*. thats how i caught a p. picta in madagascar. it was climbing up a wooden wall, and i sneeked up and grabbed it. was an awesome gecko!

regards,
*the moof*

Xanadu1
03-18-2006, 07:51 PM
OMG...I didn't know they could do that. I've read it on a caresheet, but really didn't think they did it...wow!!

danscantle
03-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Teratolepis fasciata is one of many Hemidactylus species that opted to pursue a terrestrial lifestyle. Other species that might be closely related to Teratolepis inlcude Hemidactylus gracilis, reticulatus, and pumilio.

Great photo.

oscar
03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
thats really cool. never seen mine do that.

Scott

optikwhite
03-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I never saw my Viper crawl up anything, then again I don't think it was in the best of health when I acquired it which might explain why he is no longer with me. He was such a nice gecko too. That is pretty nice and a great pic.

repkyle
03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Just thouh I would add this pic.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/repkyle/HPIM0763.jpg
It seems to much easier for them when there are water spots on the glass. There are few species that can do it alot easier when they are juvie. But once they get enough weight they loose the ability.

the moof
03-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes, apparently the water helps them to climb the glass, because the pads adhere better to a wet surface or something like that.

regards,
*the moof*

repkyle
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I ment dry calicum fom hard water.

the moof
03-28-2006, 02:37 PM
i see...well, i dont know about that...

regards,
*the moof*

Protean
03-28-2006, 06:22 PM
think of it this way, if were to climb the side of a building - what material would be easiest for you to climb with any kind of additional tools?

Would you be able to climb up a marble wall? No because there is nothing to grasp with your hands.

Would you be able to climb up a stucco wall? Most likely no because it is still too smooth to grasp.

Would you be able to climb up a brick wall? Again not so easy because the gap between the bricks may not be wide enough but still possible.

Would you be able to climb up a wall that has stones protruding from it? Yes because there is something for your hands to grab hold of.

In the case of our helmeted gecko... the more gunk on the walls, the easier it is for his little claws to grip onto something.

the moof
03-29-2006, 09:53 AM
this is true, but all arboreal geckos can climb on anything. oh, and the pads do not rely on surface to grab. they rely on a number of different forces, though i do suppose you may be right in that the water gunk makes it easier.

regards,
*the moof*

Protean
03-29-2006, 04:57 PM
helmeted geckos are not arboreal geckos.

danscantle
03-30-2006, 02:27 AM
but they are derived from within Tarentola, which are largely arboreal geckos. although i have never examined the foot morphology of any of this group i suspect they have not completely lost the mechainisms associated with climbing (i.e. setae or tendonious insertions down the toes). the effects of phylogenetic relatedness are often times extreme and even widely seperate species in time and space can have remarkable similarities because they shared a common ancestor. all eublepharids, for instance, are padless and largely prefer moist microhabitats. the most parsimonious explaination is not that they all evolved these traits independently, but rather all descended from a common ancestor which had these characteristics.

the various properties of water allow for objects, or animals, with small masses to adhere to glass. the effects of water in these instances are very different from the effects and forces exploited by gecko toes.

sweetmikigirl
12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
wow i migh be geting one

geckofreak
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Ahh i have not top on my vipers cage. better go out and get one :p

René
03-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Ahh i have not top on my vipers cage. better go out and get one :p
You better do that :)

crestedtimm
03-02-2009, 06:31 AM
1) Cant help but imagine how hard the Fasciata and Chazaliae have to "concentrate" when they are climbing, all like "Uhh,Uhhh, slow and steady..." and the look on their face when you catch them. Biting down on their little tongue, sweat beading up on their foreheads. Chubby lil boogers...

To those of you who have beheld this phenomenon, do they drop off when you catch them, climb back down, or stay put?

BTW, any of you discouraged by your "terrestrial geckos" trying to get vertical can send the whole lot to me! I wont frown on them for breaking the stereotypes...:crackup:

Timm