PDA

View Full Version : New Born

tokay,tokay
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I know i 've asked many questions about my eggs,but i came home from work and i saw a baby tokay's head poping out of one of th eggs.He hasn't completely removed himself from the egg. I assume i let him/her fight its way out of the without any help.My question is how long before i feed it and what are the atmospheric conditions as for as humidity and temperture?do i allow the temperature to drop at night as I do with the adults or do i maintian a constant temperture.Any advice to help insure its health would be greatly appriciated.This is freaking cool!

Another question on breeding: my female has laided three clutches in five months is this normal and if not, is there any hazards in the female breeding too often? :D

the moof
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
well congratulations! further than this i cannot help you :P

regards,
*the moof*

Tokaydad
03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Congrats!
I have been breeding these wonderful reptiles for a few years now.
Here is what I do
1) Remove the baby as soon a safely possible to do so.
If not, the baby could end up as a meal. (Have lost a couple this way)
2) Set up a medium critter keeper. (plastic container available at most pet supply houses)
I use papertowel for the bottom (easy to clean) and throw in a piece of corkbark that they can hid behind.
I also add a plastic plant (one of the ones that stick to the side) They will climb up inside and underneath this as well. (Plastic is the easiest to clean)
3) I use the moon-light bulb attachment that you can buy as an option. It provides enough heat to keep them warm. I mist twice a day and turn off the light at night (the room is about 78 degrees at night)
4) Usually after two days, I provide them with small crickets well dusted, if a pair, 8 -10 every other day.

As they grow, I move them into larger tanks, 5 gallon, 10 etc.
Others have said that they had have good luck in handling them when young. I have not. I have found that regardless of the amount they are handled, they will remain aggressive. :twisted:
3 clutches is not overly hard on the female. Make sure she is getting lots of calcium, through well coated crickets and, pinky mice.

:D Have fun - this is the best part of our hobby - raising your own! :D

Tokaydad

Tokaydad
03-26-2006, 10:16 PM
:?: Just wondered how you are making out with your babies?

Tokaydad

Tokaydad
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
:evil: Guess my answer was a waste of time as you have not posted a response. Too bad. :(

Preston Cook
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Geez tokaydad chill out

Tokaydad
04-16-2006, 12:19 AM
If someone takes the time to answer a post, is it not just common courtesy to respond? Especially in this case, when a person asked for specific info?

Tokaydad

tokay,tokay
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Sorry about not replying back,I just went through hell to get my computer up and running agian,i have a blue screen error with my windows system and had to re-install my system.I lost all preivious information a have been freaking out ever since.
So anyways, my new born is doing fine I had kept him in the same cage as the eggs for a few weeks while i try to do a tank shuffle with all my reptiles.He's going into an 18 gal tall after I transfer my dart frogs to there new built tank.I've been cleaning everthing down so its taking a awhile. The only thing that bothers me with my new born is that I never see him eat;but the crikets dissapear and him poops all over the place,so I assume he's eating.There's not much difference in holding him compared to the parents:very mean and likes to bite.