PDA

View Full Version : Paroedura Masobe[size=24] (PICS HELP)[/size]

Levi's Reptiles
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Could someone please tell me the care of these geckos or does anybody know where i can get a care sheet on them i get my first two pair in three days and i will post pics but i want everything to be right for them soooooo please someone help me

Ok here they are the ones that i post a lone is a bigger pair and the ones together r a smaller pair but he doesnt know forsure male and female on these two so if someone knows please let me know but i wanted to ask you guys which would be better should i get two full grown pairs but most of them have regrown tails or should i get one adult pair and one small pair but like i said he said he really doesnt know the sex on the small pair he did it on the best of his knowledge but if someone can tell please let me know. So please anybody that has these please let me know what i should do.
Small pair Doesnt Know Forsure Please Help

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ebi369/Masobepair.jpg

Large Male
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ebi369/MasobeMale.jpg

Large Female
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ebi369/MasobeFemale.jpg

Please Help Thank You Everyone

:

kenya_1977
03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I think if you scroll through the old posts you'll see some information. These seem to be fairly sensitive animals.

Levi's Reptiles
03-25-2006, 10:45 PM
tHATS WHAT IVE HEARD

Levi's Reptiles
03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey could i order some aquatic snails from u that would be great

kenya_1977
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
PM me

Bowfinger
03-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Mat.si is the one with any success with these guys, but he recieved I think established and/or captive bred. You are recieving imports, so it is going to take some work. I tried to establish a pair one month ago and lost the female. The male is doing ok, but has developed sores on his body. I am keeping temps good but keeping humidity levels right is diffuicult, too humid he gets sores, not enough he starts to thin :?

They are hard! , but keep us up to date on your progress...I would love to see you do well with them, and with the interest in getting snails etc, I think you have a good chance at it.

Levi's Reptiles
03-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanx Man I hope soo too

Levi's Reptiles
03-26-2006, 03:56 AM
what temp and humidity and substrate am i suppose to use

Justin
03-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Have you kept many other gecko species before? As these are a very hard gecko to accilamtize and have a deserved reputation for being very fragile.

Levi's Reptiles
03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
well i have a pair Paroedura lohatsara i also have satanics helmeted geckos and mt meru jacksons i have heard that they are very hard but if i find out the right temps and humidity and substrate i think i will do alright so if anybody knows this please tellme

Thank You Levi

Bowfinger
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Just a word of advice, you can get the conditions right and they still have problems as imports.
I understand your thinking as a lot of reptiles just need you to duplicate a natural invironment,
and many do not figure this out but these guys are missing something else.
I am thinking diet (snails, or something else as well) or they have an natural infection/parasite
that can overtake its host under stress. Maybe diet adds an antibody to its system?

Basically I am saying be prepaired for more work than any other species.

p.s. anyone have a way of getting shots of their teeth? Was curious what the teeth are designed
for and if any different than others in the group. This might solve the diet problem.
Also does anyone know who would do an autopsy on a dead one to see what parasites they cary?

Bowfinger
03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
you need to resize your pictures to 640x? to fit better on the screen

I would get adult pair and juvies, reg tail is no problem if looking to establish the species.
Also do not keep together, they fight. Do not let go above 75F

If you are not scared yet then go get em!

Justin
03-26-2006, 01:57 PM
With species like this, when they are imported they are normally kept badly before and just afer they are shipped and they need humidity and moisture that they were not getting for a substantial amount of time. This causes dehydration problems that aren't even visible, like kidney problems so even though they look fairly hydrated in actual fact they are just dying slowly. Thers not a lot you can do about it at that point, no humidifiers, foggers or misting sytem will help. That's not even counting the problem of internal parasites and stress.

I'm not trying to put anyone of this species, I just want people to be aware fo the problems inherent with them.

With Madagascar, even though they are saying that they will soon be closing the borders for import an export (and they haev been saying this for some time) it's never seemed to happen and there is advert after advert for 'new shipments of Uroplatus/Paroedura etc' and people are seeing these beautiful and unique looking geckos and buying them thinking that they are the next step up from a leo or a crested.
I wonder how long Madagascar can withstand all of the exports (about 80% of which I would say die within a few months) before they have decimated the numbers of these rare and beautiful geckos, numbers that it wll be very very hard to bring their numbers back up.

Sorry to ramble and go a little OT.

Bowfinger
03-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Sorry to ramble and go a little OT.

Not at all, you are very right. For some of you that keep fish understand that many
species already are extinct in Madagascar and in some lucky cases not in captivity.
One thing to remember is the slash and burn is whats tearing apart the habitat
we are hopefully establishing some of these species, even if importation is killing most.

These coming in such bad shape, all the more reason to comunicate on findings with this rare species.

Levi's Reptiles
03-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Well isnt it the same thing as urplatus

Bowfinger
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
what? did not understand the question.

Also, in a pm I was asked price, I paid $150 for a pair, so yes the prices of $300 a pair is a little high...

Justin
03-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Without sounding harsh, this research would have been better to find out before you got them.

Why do you not think it ius like Uroplatus?

mat.si
03-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I think the two small ones are both females.
At that size it should be possible to see, if any of them was male.

It would work well to buy two small females and bigger pair and have 1.3.
But how many of them would survive is another question.

Establishing wc masobe in poor condition in not only a matter of knowledge and experience, it's also a matter of pure luck.

The imports usually all look very thin and although some might still look rather OK, they might drop dead the next day.

The animals (specially freshly imported) should definitelly NOT be kept together, as it just increases the stress.

Matjaz

Levi's Reptiles
03-27-2006, 09:41 PM
How would you have everything set up when they got here

Thank You

mat.si
03-28-2006, 07:28 AM
As I and others have said before. Why don't you search the old masobe posts in this forum? There's info you are asking for, which I posted a couple of months ago.

But to make things easier, here's a copy/paste of my old post:

Originally I kept all of them together in a rather big glass terrarium (100X50X50 cm)
After some time I noticed that some aggression was going on among them.
At first I thought the male was aggressive towards females, but later I found one of the females was terrorizing the others.
(There are plenty of hidding places in the terrarium.)
I removed two females to smaller terrariums (40X40X40 cm) and now I keep every female separately.
Unfortunately before I did that, one of them dropped the original tail due to the bites from the aggressive female.
This year I had to remove the male as well, because she bit him on the head quite bad. He's OK now, but still has a scar.
I circulated him with all three females this year.
The interesting thing is, that the aggressive female laid three pairs of fertile eggs this year, while only one of the other two females produced a single fertile egg, which already hatched. All other eggs were soft and infertile.

Terrariums are furnished with a lot of tunnel-shapped cork bark pieces (providing plenty of hidding places), a bigger clay hidding place, some cork branches for climbing and at least one live plant (keeping humidity levels higher). Substrate is common peat, of which one third of the surface is moist, the other part dry. I spray every evening.
The substrate gets saturated with water after some time and needs complete change from time to time.

I keep them on lower shelves in my reptile room, with no additional heating.
The temperatures are 20 - 22 C by night, 23 - 25 C by day.
(The eggs are incubated at the same temp. range and take about 4.5 months to hatch. They are quite big and look almost identical to the U. henkeli eggs.)
For lighting I use full spectrum flourescent tubes although they never come outside during the day.
Light is turned on for about 12 hours during summer and about 10 hours during winter.

There's also a water dish and small dish with calcium (cuttlefish bone) for females. They eat quite a lot of it during breeding season.

I feed them mostly dusted crickets (Gryllus assimilis) and from time to time they will take small roaches (Blaptica) from forceps.
I also give them (specially females) extra vitamins and calcium diluted in water by the pipette.

For terrarium plants I use smooth-leaved bromelias or small Ficus trees (for babies).
My P. masobe babies spend almost entire nights up among the branches of these miniature trees.
But the trees need a lot of careful prunning to keep them in shape for small terrariums.

And they also like to eat small snails.

Matjaz

Levi's Reptiles
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
ive read all of this befor but is there any other extra stuff and

thank you very much

Levi's Reptiles
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
I will let everyone know about them i get them on thursday.