PDA

View Full Version : New Food for U. fimbriatus!

klondike4001
04-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I got to witness my fimbriatus take down and eat one of her tank mates tonight, turns out fimbriatus enjoy an anole from time to time.

Hope someone else benefits from this info.

WildEyeReptiles
04-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I would caution the use of deliberate WC vertebrate food sources in captive animals. They are known to pass on parasites and pathogens, and in a compromised animal, this could prove a disaster. Sure, they probably eat whatever vertebrates they can catch in the wild, but this isnt the wild - LOL. Lots of people have done it with lots of different animals and seen nothing negative, but the same exists for the opposite. Just have to use your best judgement on this one.

Hilde
04-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm not surprised, they are known to be lizard eaters.

What I'm wondering about is your statement that the frimbriatus ate a 'tank mate'. Are you keeping fimbriatus and anoles together as a mixed species tank? I won't go into the lack of merits for mixed species setups but do want to mention that the temperature (and possibly humidity) ranges for the two species don't really mesh. Anoles like temperatures that can cause a fimbriatus to suffer heat stress. Unless you have a very big enclosure to allow each it's own optimum temperature zone or can pinpoint the heat for the anole to bask in, then I'd say there's a bigger problem brewing than just anoles being eaten for lunch.

klondike4001
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
The anole gets put in the tank once a week to take care of baby crickets that are hatching in my vivariums, the fimbriatus won't go after the small things, I wasn't expecting the fim to eat my clean up crew though...