PDA

View Full Version : leachie

Mack2
04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok I am getting my lechie pair next Thursday!!!! I planed on using cork bark hallows in the enclosure, but Iím having trouble finding large enough pieces. So Iím thinking about using that black drain pipe, you know to keep things sterile but still give them a nice dark place to hide. I am going to panel the back and one side with cork flats to help with the humidity though. Will this work? Any suggestions? I have a kind of mockup of the tank that I will post later.

Here is a photo of the pipe
http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/Retailers/HomeDepot/149985_a.jpg

Mack2
04-11-2006, 12:53 PM
here is what i have so far. this is just temorary.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/mack2_/IMG_2305.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/mack2_/IMG_2306.jpg

Haroldo
04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure about using a plastic tubing that isn't rigid. Leachies are pretty heavy and I could easily see them bending the plastic. In addition, the ribbed design of this tubing will actually make keeping them sterile harder, since you won't be able to get all the way down into the ribs of the tubing. I would really tree to get some large diameter cork curls or tubes from an online supplier if I were you. The tank does like nice though. What locale are you getting? and from whom?

Mack2
04-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure about using a plastic tubing that isn't rigid. Leachies are pretty heavy and I could easily see them bending the plastic. In addition, the ribbed design of this tubing will actually make keeping them sterile harder, since you won't be able to get all the way down into the ribs of the tubing

When itís cut short like that itís pretty stiff, Iím about 99% confident that they wonít bend it, itís tough for me to bend it. The ribs are only ľĒ deep, it will be more difficult but not imposable. Do you think PVC pipe would be better?

I would really tree to get some large diameter cork curls or tubes from an online supplier if I were you.

I plan on it; this is just temporary until I can find some better stuff. I plan on doing a nice naturalistic enclosure some time, but for now Iím just going to do something like this.

What locale are you getting? and from whom?

They are a pair of six year old Island Eís. I am getting they from Noe Perez (Noahís Boas)

MiCh@3L
04-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Looks strange to me :shock:

weswright
04-12-2006, 04:22 AM
It may look strange but I think it will do just fine. Does it come apart easy?

Haroldo
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure about using a plastic tubing that isn't rigid. Leachies are pretty heavy and I could easily see them bending the plastic. In addition, the ribbed design of this tubing will actually make keeping them sterile harder, since you won't be able to get all the way down into the ribs of the tubing

When itís cut short like that itís pretty stiff, Iím about 99% confident that they wonít bend it, itís tough for me to bend it. The ribs are only ľĒ deep, it will be more difficult but not imposable. Do you think PVC pipe would be better?

-Actually, I would think PVC pipe would be better. However 6" drain pipe costs about as much per foot as cork bark does, you would be just back to step one.

I would really tree to get some large diameter cork curls or tubes from an online supplier if I were you.

I plan on it; this is just temporary until I can find some better stuff. I plan on doing a nice naturalistic enclosure some time, but for now Iím just going to do something like this.

-Good to hear.

What locale are you getting? and from whom?

They are a pair of six year old Island Eís. I am getting they from Noe Perez (Noahís Boas)

-If this is the same pair he had last year at Tinley Park, I've seen them. And trust me, they're a pretty nice pair in person as well. Congrats on buying them. Make sure to post pics.

Mack2
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
It may look strange but I think it will do just fine. Does it come apart easy?

Ya it takes me like 5 min to get it apart

-If this is the same pair he had last year at Tinley Park, I've seen them. And trust me, they're a pretty nice pair in person as well. Congrats on buying them. Make sure to post pics.

Thanks, heís sent me a bunch of photos and they look really nice. Iíll post lots of pics, I canít wait!!!

sikorae
04-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Don't know if the Leachies would like that as it might feel wierd for them to climb inside, not natural.

Je_suis_le_Rhac
04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
That looks fine to me.

I don't see why keeping that sterile would be hard................probably way easier than cork bark.........i can never imagine a piece of that stuff being cleaner than plastic.

Even though it's not natural, neither are paper towels or glass, or egg cartons. They are a very adaptive genus.

If I had a lot of cages that i wanted to be simplistic, using those permenantly seems like a good idea.

John

Haroldo
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
That looks fine to me.

I don't see why keeping that sterile would be hard................probably way easier than cork bark.........i can never imagine a piece of that stuff being cleaner than plastic.

Even though it's not natural, neither are paper towels or glass, or egg cartons. They are a very adaptive genus.

If I had a lot of cages that i wanted to be simplistic, using those permenantly seems like a good idea.

John

-I would have to disagree with that...at least with a cork bark curl (Not round) or slab, you can visually inspect the cleanliness of the piece versus this ribbed plastic which you cannot see how clean it is on the inside. However, this doesn't really matter since this is a temporary fix.

-Not to be "nit-picky," but paper towels and glass and egg cartons are all natural products! Paper towels and egg cartons are paper products and those come from trees last time I heard. Glass is a derivative of compressed sand from what I've heard. So actually, plastic is the only "un-natural" thing mentioned here.

-I simply don't agree that this would make good for a permanent fix. First and foremost should be the health and security of the animal. Plastic tubes are not in their natural habitat--not even the texture is remotely similar. At least the other materials are more natural in feel--not smooth.

Not trying to start a sling-fest, just don't want any suggestions to go without answer. Everything has pros and cons, this setup just seems to be too un-natural to fit the bill of longevity. My $0.02 though and I know this position is not shared by all.

herperboy
04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I would use some dabs of liquid nails to attach them to the inside of the glass. You can easily get it off with a razor when you want to ge them out. I have used this stuff before, but not for geckos. I had it buried in my large uromastyx enclosure with it sticking up at either end. They really seemed to enjoy running through it and hiding in it. I wouldnt use PVC because it is so smooth, i dont know how well they would stick to it.

bleeding_sarcasm
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
wet leachie poop will look awesome on that, and will be awesome to clean. have fun.