PDA

View Full Version : Vorax geckos? many species? (no pictures)

Bowfinger
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I have seen many "Vorax" and "Halmahara" geckos available with very different looks...i.e. green eyes, grey eyes, blotching, chevrons, no pattern etc.

Anyone study these differences or know of any useful information?

danscantle
04-12-2006, 08:58 PM
i am aware of 3-4 large Gehyra that occasionally make it in. Marginata (the most common), oceanica (also very, very large), and vorax (very rare). I think bailioa (spelling?) is also large and occasionally comes in (it is at least a handful). But, there are probably several cryptic species and small island endemics. Gehyra, as you might know, is primarily an Austro-Papuan genus and so is pretty much out of range for most exporters. Too bad... There are some really, really cool geckos over there, like Lepidodactylus the size of Rhacodactylus cilliatus.

Palex134
04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
they are aweosme, many of them come in as g. vorax, when they really are not vorax at all. I think CB or established LTCs would make interesting captives.

Afelinus
04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Shane,Dan is completely right.90% of what you see is Marginata,occurring from different locales,Ambon,Mollucca and Halmahera.These are all indonesian,true Vorax comes from Fiji and Vanuatu,and a couple other small islands in the South Pacific.Baliola,is much smaller,sometimes referred to as the "banana gecko,and is seen periodically."I used to be crazy about that genus,but so many species,so few ever come into the states.

Afelinus
04-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Ooops,forgot about Oceanica,which is slightly smaller than Marginata.Rare still,even though about 10 years ago there was a fairly shipment that came in.

Bowfinger
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I will be getting a pair at least on Friday, maybe more if they look good...thanks for the help.

So many species and so little space or time! But it is soo fun.