PDA

View Full Version : Mourning gecko Pictures as promised!

Palex134
04-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Ya they are awesome. I already had one escape while taking these pictures. The little girl ran into the heaters. I spent about a half hour taking it apart, and she finally jumped out, and I snagged her. She is doing well. They are just sooo fast!
here are some pictures of the girls.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/palex134/DSC08579.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/palex134/DSC08582.jpg
Also, what will start making these females lay eggs? I do not know how old they are, but I was told they are adults. The guy I bought from said they had not laid for him, so when will they start laying? Thanks

danscantle
04-16-2006, 10:34 AM
What will make them start laying?

Probably a little girl on girl action, assuming they are full grown. Parthenogenetic species may have lost the need for males, but have not lost the need for maleness. Mock copulations keep their hormone cycles in balance and egg production up. Feed, feed, and feed. Make sure you get enough calcium in them. They lay lots of eggs, and really need to have endolymphatic sacks to do so.

Can you imagine a Lepidodactylus the size of a crested gecko?

-Dan

Elizabeth Freer
04-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey Peter ~

Been there, done that---but it was ripping out the board that only partially covered the area beneath my bathroom sink in search of a Ms. Ll. Then Mr. Fixit came with a stained piece of wood to seal off the area.

If they run off again you might find them at night hanging out near the lamp of somebody else's cage. You could leave a water dish out as well as some crickets in a tall plastic container.

How long are they from snout to tail tip? Lls usually begin to lay eggs from 10 months old onward. I have one of my original Lls who will turn 18 yo come August and last I checked she was still laying eggs. Amazing!!!

Have you heard them chirp?

Palex134
04-16-2006, 06:17 PM
nah, they are down in my herp room, which is probably a good thing. I do not know how long they are, they are the hardest things to measure. I'd say they are 3-4 inches with tail. just a guess though.

Elizabeth Freer
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Peter ~

Well, they sound about fully grown which is about 3" and 3/4". You could move them to your bedroom. They seem to chirp more at night and can get quite a chorus going at times :lol:

Don't overdo the Vitamin A as in sweet potato baby food. Kinky tails will result.

Palex134
04-16-2006, 06:42 PM
ok, I just got done measuring them, they are near 3 and 1/2 inches with SVL about 2 inches. I can see their calcium sacks. I am feeding them a mixture of clarks diet, I use it for my rhacs, day gecko diet powder, peach baby food, and then crickets other days.
Can you post some pictures of yours if you have some, possibly some calcium sack pics, I can see them on mine, I dont know how big they are supposed to be. Thanks for all your help!

Palex134
04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
and btw, my room tops off around 70, so it is too cold. My herp room goes from about 80 day time, to 70 night time. I think they will do well in there. They are in a Kritter Keeper right now with a fake plant, eggflats, and pvc pipe piece.

Elizabeth Freer
04-17-2006, 06:49 PM
ok, I just got done measuring them, they are near 3 and 1/2 inches with SVL about 2 inches. I can see their calcium sacks. I am feeding them a mixture of clarks diet, I use it for my rhacs, day gecko diet powder, peach baby food, and then crickets other days.
Can you post some pictures of yours if you have some, possibly some calcium sack pics, I can see them on mine, I dont know how big they are supposed to be. Thanks for all your help!

Peter ~

You're quite welcome...my pleasure!

Ll's endolymphatic sacs do not really need to be all that large. When the sacs are too large they are unattractive and probably not all that healthy for the critters. You should be dusting their crickets at least twice a week with Rep Cal Calcium with D3. It is very important to dust the crickets on a regular basis so that these geckos do not develop seizures from the lack of calcium.

I have the Clark's diet too----such a fragrant banana aroma!! I mix it with chicken baby food for one of my geckos. Haven't fed it to the Lls yet.

Sorry I don't have a digital cam or I could post pictures.

Elizabeth Freer
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
What will make them start laying?

Probably a little girl on girl action, assuming they are full grown. Parthenogenetic species may have lost the need for males, but have not lost the need for maleness. Mock copulations keep their hormone cycles in balance and egg production up. Feed, feed, and feed. Make sure you get enough calcium in them. They lay lots of eggs, and really need to have endolymphatic sacks to do so.

Can you imagine a Lepidodactylus the size of a crested gecko?

-Dan

Dan ~

Are you certain about this "girl on girl" action, parthenogenetic species needing "maleness" and mock copulations in order to keep their hormone cycles in balance and egg production up?

kansasboy22
04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
You have some good looking gals :D mine was that color when I got mine she was pregnate when I got her and layed it a 3 days later.good luck with them

Palex134
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
thanks. Mine have not laid yet according to Regal Reptiles, but hopefully they should lay soon. I bought half the mournings at the show! haha

danscantle
04-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Elizabeth-

I am not certain about this with Lepidodactylus, however, David Crews (who works a floor below my office) as proven unisexual Cnemidophorus (whip-tailed lizards) lay more clutches when kept with multiple females. He also has done the blood work to show the flucuations in hormone cycles significantly differ between solitary females and gregarious females and in response to percieved copulation. Gravid females are hormonally submissive whereas rececently deposited females assume the dominant role and actually mount the subordinates.

I wish I had included my uncertainty in my previous post. The point is there appears to be a hormonal reward in females (as well as males) for the act of copulation, which promotes fecundity. Why should you keep laying expensive eggs if they won't be fertile?

So, in some species - and undoubtedly in Lepidodactylus - which have lost the need for males, the need for male associated behaviors (maleness) is still required.

Anyways, I'm more surprised no one has asked me about a Lepidodactylus species that gets to be as long as a Rhacodactylus cilliatus.

Palex134
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyways, I'm more surprised no one has asked me about a Lepidodactylus species that gets to be as long as a Rhacodactylus cilliatus.

whaaa!

kansasboy22
04-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Palex don't worry Li's don't get as big as cresteds, and no they don't need more than 1 female to laye fertile eggs I should know I only have 1 adult who has layed 8 eggs so far and all are fertile. and whip tails are not the same as Ll's.

kansasboy22
04-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Palex don't worry Ll'ss don't get as big as cresteds, and no they don't need more than 1 female to laye fertile eggs I should know I only have 1 adult who has layed 8 eggs so far and all are fertile. and whip tails are not the same as Ll's.

danscantle
04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
That's almost what I said when I saw them. My exact words were "F#$king Sh$t!"

Lepidodactylus magnus is a pretty nice sized gecko. I had the fortune to see preserved animals in the Texas Memorial Museum's herp collection. Couldn't believe my eyes. They were long, slender, and the females had enormous endolymphatic sacks.

Lepidodactylus is a seriously underrated genus. There are a ton of species of all short of sizes and colors, but all are pretty slender - this is a trait they share with Pseudogecko and Hemiphyllodactylus which are probably the closest relatives of Lepidodactylus.

Unfortunately, Lepidodactylus is native to the Papuan region (primarily) with endemic species probably on most of the islands over there. Just out of range of exporters, but within range of Hemidactylus frenatus and platyurus, which will probably drive many of the species into extinction. Competition is a nasty mother.

Palex134
04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
well I know mournings dont get as big, haha. They are small, and fast little crappers. I hope mine lay soon. They are pretty awesome for such a small gecko! They are like a house gecko on crack. Congrats on your female! Post some pics!

Palex134
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
If they were as slow and tameable as rhacs and others, they would be even sicker!