PDA

View Full Version : where are all the Gonatodes albogularis in the hobby?

Palex134
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
they look so awesome, but are never available. Yellow headeds look like such phenominal geckos! Anyone know why there are none in the hobby?

bugman426
04-23-2006, 12:35 AM
They are rarely imported, and come in small numbers. Albogularis are nice, but are the most common...some other Gonatodes have such amazing patterning as well.

Palex134
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
wow there are soo many! They all are awesome! more should be imported!

chahoua
04-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I recently saw some Gonatodes posted for sale at Kingsnake.com under the gecko classifieds. They were listed under their common name of "Yellow Headed geckos." From the pictures, they appear to be G. caudiscutatus, or a simliar species. If you're still interested in them, you should check it out.

danscantle
04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Those animals (if they are being sold by Exotic Pets) are stressed Lygodactylus. The toe pads are the first give away.

the moof
04-23-2006, 03:03 PM
:shock: ouch. so false advertising then... <_<

chahoua
04-23-2006, 03:10 PM
They are being sold by Exotic Pets, but they have 2 posts one for "Cape Dwarf geckos" and another for "Yellow Headed geckos." The Cape Dwarfs are definitley Lygo's, but the pictures on the Yellow Headeds aren't that great. They also posted them both within a few minutes of each other, so you would think that they are 2 different gecko species, but I can see the toe pad give away that Dan mentioned, so they posted the same thing twice. :)

bugman426
04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Those animals (if they are being sold by Exotic Pets) are stressed Lygodactylus. The toe pads are the first give away.

I was thinking they were too but to me even stressed they looked more like the lygodactylus than the gonatodes

chahoua
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
OK, so I have to ask since no one else has yet, but what species of Gonatodes have any of you kept, or are currently keeping?

6-7 years ago I kept Gonatodes ocelatus and G. albogularis, but sold them when I took a break from geckos to focus on my career, getting married and buying a house. I've just been getting back into geckos over the last 3 months after my 6 year break, so I'm still a bit rusty on identification. :o

The G. ocelatus were some of the most beautiful geckos I've ever seen, and definitely a rival of Phelsuma.

geckoboy
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I am keeping 5.5 Gonatodes albogularis notatus...all unrelated.
It isn't quite warm enough for them to be breeding yet but they will start breeding soon. I should have plenty of babies by July.
I am in Canada but will be in the US at least once this summer. Email if you are interested: geckoboy14@yahoo.com
Nathan

danscantle
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Yep, the pictures aren't that great, but the presence of toepads rejects any Gonatodes. My guess for the species is Lygodactylus picturatus with the Cape dwarf being L. kimhowelli.