PDA

View Full Version : N.amyae egg laying behavior

Stickytoe
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share what I saw this afternoon....didn't have a camera, so a description will have to do.

I was expecting one of my female N.amyae to drop eggs very soon. She has been digging for a day or two, and when I pulled her cage out this afternoon, I saw at the bottom of the "pit" she dug, one freshly laid egg. Just about a minute later, "pop!" the other egg just popped out really fast.
She then proceded to grasp the eggs (one at a time) with her back legs and systematically roll them in the sand. She rolled each egg for about a minute, and rolled each egg twice in turn.
Now shes covering them back up!

Just thought this was interesting as I'd never actually seen the laying in process before.

Nicole

Ari
04-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Thats amazing - maybe she rolls them in the sand to camouflage them (still moist so sand will stick to them) Wish you had a camera or video of this :(

Cheers

Troy

GeckoHunter
04-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey there.
I've seen this process done with my U. milii. She rolls the sticky eggs with her back legs in the sand to camouflage them (sand sticks to them), then buries them.

It seems as though this is usual behavour for any Aust. geckos who lay soft shelled eggs? Has anyone else observed this process?

Thanks for the observation report - watching the whole egg laying process is a very fascinating experience.

Stickytoe
05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, next time I will try and get some pics :)

Nicole

Sarah
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM
The last clutch one of my female Ciliaris laid this season I found in the middle of the enclosure on top of the substrate and she didn't roll them at all, so they were perfectly white! No idea why she didn't bury them as she had buried all her previous clutches in the nest box. Thankfully I managed to get to them in time. One was infertile, but the other one was good and hatched a few days ago, my last hatchling of the season actually.