PDA

View Full Version : Locusta migratoria breeding

kimo
05-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Can someone tell me the temperatures for them and how are they sexed and do they need high humidity and any other exp. tips. Thanks in advance!

geckodan
05-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I am not sure if you are dealing with the same species that we breed in Australia but I would assume the care is similar. I housed mine at 28 celcius, Use aluminium flymesh as they will chew through the fibreglass mesh. I can't remember the sexing but I am sure you can google this. For egg laying we found superior results when the top of the egg laying container (just slightly moist sand is fine) is flush with the bottom of the cage i.e. they don't like to climb up into something to lay. We mounted a takeaway container in a hole in the floor and then dropped a second container with the laying substrate into this. They eat HEAPS. Fresh grass is preferred.

kimo
05-06-2006, 02:10 PM
They nutrition value is almost equal to crickets,right? they can be held in plastic keepers with aluminium mesh for ventilation, right? Thanks Danny!

geckodan
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Nutritionally they ar similar to cricket particularly when yound but become less digestible when they get bigger. I have never stored mine for any length of time but that sounds fine.