PDA

View Full Version : brother+sister=babies

lilernie
05-09-2006, 08:39 AM
is it possible to breed a brother and sister :?:

Infiniti
05-09-2006, 09:45 AM
possible yes, like any other animal. recomended not really because u tend to acumulate bad genetic material.

m sure someone else can explain things better and in more detail.

AWL Reptiles
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Reptiles are more hardy when it comes to breed family members than mammals (spell??) are. To get a clean specie or a special color, breeding family members may be necessary.

But as Infiniti said, it's better to not do that.

Infiniti
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
yeah i know a lot of people inbreed to reach certain morphs, specially the rarer kinds but if u can help it ur probably better not.

lilernie
05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
what if you breed pictuses form different clutches of the same mother and father

Protean
05-09-2006, 04:16 PM
they are still related. it would be like reproducing with your sibling. same parents.

JaeHood
05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Inbreeding can lead to various genetic defects, in reptiles it is less aparent than in mamals, however it is still a problem becauce your doubling your chances of getting the same genetic disorder, that even if not expressed by your parents, could still be carried in thier genetics.. Basically, unless you are trying to find and reproduce a rare and hard to attain morph, then there is no point. For your pictus, you might as well trade 1 or 2 of your babies and get a male/female from a DIFFERENT bloodline, and breed him/her to all your babies ( when they are adults) this way you mix up thier genetics. Better safe than sorry if your dealing with a regular pattern pictus.

Minhawali
05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Paroedura pictus have been bred up to F18. (18 generations)

danscantle
05-10-2006, 10:14 PM
correction to minhawali's post - the "Geckoes" book says, I believe, P. picta has been INBRED up to 18 generations with no indication of illside effects, and have probably been bred further.

JaeHood
05-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Im sure thats what he meant, regardless, I dont think that you can benefit from inbreeding yours..

Protean
05-11-2006, 02:35 AM
....down to mice now....

after 20 generations they are officially genetically identical and fully inbred. there is though, significant amounts of genetic drift between strains.

lilernie
05-12-2006, 08:30 AM
thanks for answering my questions

Jaguar Gecko77
06-11-2006, 03:51 AM
there was an article about this in an issue of reptiles magizine ill try to find the month for you but it basically said that it is ok to inbreed reptiles as long as you "outbreed" as soon as possible. However to my recolection i believe the article had inconclusively addressed the matter. In my experience with reptiles i tend to stray away from inbreeding not because i fear defects but because i find no need all the traits i have wanted could be bought. Now say i plan on eventually trying to breed out some all black leopards those arn't seen too often and are fairly hard to aquire so inbreeding would be necessary. so i guess in conclusion i would say "why do it if you don't have to" but if you do go for it. just rember once you get the trait that you want breed out.