PDA

View Full Version : wierd mourning behavior?!

Palex134
05-21-2006, 03:37 PM
ok, so I woke up and checked on my herps. My gravid female mourning was all fired up and brown with lots of pattern, which I have never seen her like this before. I was like hm, she must be close to laying. later today, I moved their cage into my room out of my herp room. I was hearing chirps, so I went to go see what had happened. I look in the cage, and my gravid female is picking on my smaller, non-gravid female. Whenever she saw her, she would kinda do a fake lunge at the other. She continues to chirp. Could this just be behavior as she is getting ready to lay? I keep them in a small kritter keeper. They have never had any other problems like this before. Any advice? Should I seperate? Thanks

kansasboy22
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
The brown color is most likely because she was trying to warm up, the larger female is showing her domanace over her smaller counterpart, how big is the critter keeper it may be that the cage is to small so they are forced to be closer than they would like, mourning geckos will stay in small groupes but if the space is too small they will fight I have this problem with my babys, in a 10gal u can have 4-6 Lls I have a 5 1/2 gal for 3 females Hope this helps.

Palex134
05-23-2006, 06:25 AM
thanks very much. They have returned to their lighter colors, and the bullying seems to have chilled. I will look into buying a larger cage for the two anyways, even if it isnt too small.