PDA

View Full Version : P. Masobe set up Feedback Appreciated!!

snmreptiles
05-31-2006, 05:33 PM
We just set this up, it used to house a pair of dart frogs, but we were producing WAY too many of them, so we sold off one of our pairs. I HATE running water in tanks, however an aquaintance of our's kept a trio alive for over 3 years and said they were frequently in the waterfall, so I'll give it a try. One instantly got into the cork bark cave, there are a few other caves as well, so we'll have to wait and see how these guys do!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/snmreptiles/geckos/DSC06247.jpg

Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

Uropl@tus
06-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Hello

Great setup. I thnk this is what they want.

Best Regards Patrick

mat.si
06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi!
The terrarium looks just right for masobe. They like it very humid.

If you keep more animals together, watch for any signs of aggression among them.
If you see any fresh bite marks on the tails or heads, better separate the animals or at least remove the aggressive one (the one without the bite marks).
They can drop the tail and that is the stress they don't need, specially, if they are freshly imported animals.
In my case it was a very aggressive female who attacked other females and male as well. But she is the best breeder.

Matjaz

snmreptiles
06-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Right now there is two females in it...Males aren't the easiest to find right now! Plus I don't know if I want to invest more if I can't keep these gals alive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Matjaz, how long does it usually take for your freshly importeds to eat? It's been 2 weeks, and I don't think either one has touched anything we've tried! Also I was checking out some of your terrarium pics...How much ventilation do you provide? I'm thinking there was a screen top on one of your cages?

Thanks,
Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

mat.si
06-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi!
I was lucky. My females were F1 CB and a male either LTC or CB animal.
They ate right away. I fed them only dusted crickets (smaller Gryllus assimils) at the beginning. Now I feed them crickets alternating with small aquarium snails.

I would definitelly try snails, if I were you. Specially females like them, but I found out that even young animals eat them (even young males).

These aquatic snails are offered in a small dish with shallow water. They can not escape and hide and are easy prey to the geckos. They are also a great source of calcium. The adult female usually eats between 2 and 5 smaller snails every 10 days or so.

http://tinypic.com/ofsuap.jpg

My terrariums. Adults are housed in glass terrariums with some ventilation in the front lower part and some screen on the top, not too much.
I spray every evening and the substrate gets quite wet, so the humidity is very high.
The babies are housed in smaller plastic terrariums with plastic screen top. But the humidity is very high as well, specially because of the substrate being moist (I have to change it quite often).
Small leaved ficus trees hold the humidity quite well when sprayed in the evening.
I hope this helps and the females will survive.
If you have any doubts about how they tolerate each other, better separate them.

Matjaz

kimo
06-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Terarium looks great! What is that glass part doing onthe left side of terrarium? How much light do you provide for that kind of plants? Are they ferns? P.s.How can those snails reproduce in captivity? What do I need for them and what is latin name for them? Tnx!

snmreptiles
06-03-2006, 02:12 PM
If you are talking about the glass just above the ground, that is the pond where the water fall is...The tank used to have a false bottom, and the water just disappeared into the ground, however, that isn't what I wanted to do with it, so I just took the cheesey way out, and hope to drape java moss over so it becomes less noticeable. I did a lot of things on this tank I usually don't do. Kept plants in pots, running water, etc. There is a Power compact with a 6700K bulb over that tank currently. This was the first tank that got us started on our "Dart Frog Adventure". It has been replanted quite a few times. Here's a pic of it a few years ago, you can see a D. Azureus looking out of the coco hut!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/snmreptiles/dart%20frogs/32-javamosstakingoverthebackwallana.jpg

Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

mat.si
06-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure about the exact species of these water snails, but these are the common ones found in the freshwater aquariums.
A friend has a lot of aquariums and he gives me a bunch of snails from time to time.
They freely reproduce in his aquariums.
I keep them in a big jar with some water plants. They live there for quite some time, but they don't reproduce there. I'm not sure why.

Matjaz