PDA

View Full Version : info on golden geckos

dazz86uk
06-01-2006, 01:53 PM
hi just got 2 golden geckos and wondered if any one has any info on them. what they like,dont like,pics? ect? cheers

danscantle
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
If you are talking about G. ulikovski - mine rarely eat insects. Mine eat almost entirely fruit. They like peaches, mangos, banana, grapes, apples, and blueberries.

dazz86uk
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah i noticed that to. not seen mine eat any yet. will try fruit not sure if they are male or female either. one is dark green with yellow/gold stripes and the other is mainly dark green with yellow/gold tints. any ideas? they also not get on very well, like to fight alot?cheers again

danscantle
06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
They are difficult geckos to sex, but males do have hemipenes. They are just barely noticable. It took me a few weeks to realize (=come to grips with) the fact I had two males. They didn't fight during that time, I would occasionally hear some squabbling and gecko blabbering, but nothing brutal. The smaller male, however, spent most of his time towards the bottom of the cage. I think in the long run keeping males together is a very bad idea because while they don't appear to fight, the dominant individual seems to stress the others severely.

Seeing these geckos eat fruit is quite comical. They devour it like sharks feeding on seals.

dazz86uk
06-04-2006, 06:28 AM
do you no if bark flooring for the tank has to be from pet stores or if you can use stuff from a garden store, ( i.e. B&Q)? and other stuff you can use? sand,stones ect? cheers

danscantle
06-04-2006, 03:09 PM
i use potting soil. for hiding, one male has a PVC tube in his cage, and the other has a large ceramic tile leaned against the cage wall (the cage is white on three sides). They have their preferences believe it or not.

dazz86uk
06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
cheers. is there any other sign you can see what sex they are just by looking at there colour?

danscantle
06-05-2006, 03:55 AM
i wouldn't know about color - i haven't seen enough to say for sure. but, of all the Gekko species i am familar with i have never had reason to say they were sexually dimorphic in regards to coloration

crestedtimm
10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
males are quite gold, while females are more mottled with melanin wash.