PDA

View Full Version : S. Steno mating?

Silvershark
06-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Just heard a cheeping from my steno's viv and looked in to see the male had grabbed one of the females by the jaw and was holding her, she didn't seem happy so I sprayed him with water so he would let her go. Just wondering if this is normal behaviour between males and females? I have seen them mate before but at no point did the male grab the female by the jaw! There's 3 in a 24"x12" vivarium, 2 females and one male so they have plenty of space. Not only that but the female he grabbed has been eating like mad and gaining a bit of weight so I think she may possibly be gravid.

peterUK
06-11-2006, 07:51 PM
If the female is gravid, you will be able to see the eggs through the skin....there is NO mistaking it :shock: :shock:

markvij
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Biting the neck is breeding-behaviour. Biting the jaw could be a failed breeding attempt :) As long as no animal gets hurt, I wouldn't worry very much. It is not an agressive species.

Mark

Silvershark
06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Biting the neck is breeding-behaviour. Biting the jaw could be a failed breeding attempt :) As long as no animal gets hurt, I wouldn't worry very much. It is not an agressive species.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I know they're not an agressive species but was worried about the little male being a bit to "excitable". Didn't need to worry though because my female got her own back. The cheeky devil nipped her back legs so she turned around and chased him nipping at the tip of his tail :lol: Was funny watching her waddle after him.

markvij
06-15-2006, 02:03 PM
The females are indeed assertive, especially when they are gravid. If the male comes to close and she is in a bad mood, well... he'd better split :wink:

Mark

Silvershark
06-15-2006, 02:34 PM
The females are indeed assertive, especially when they are gravid. If the male comes to close and she is in a bad mood, well... he'd better split :wink:

Mark

She's definately assertive, was strange to see because normally she's very laid back and friendly. She even comes dashing over to take food I'm offering to the male (oddly she doesn't do the same as often or as assertively if I'm feeding the little female). Even after she has been fed and seemed to have eaten her fill, if she sees him getting food she wants it.

She has a lovely personality though, I hope that if she does have little ones they share that :D

markvij
06-17-2006, 04:59 AM
Mine do the same: trying to take away the food of each other :)

Mark