PDA

View Full Version : Hatchling Racks - what are you using?

Sarah
06-13-2006, 05:35 AM
I have recently received this nice little hatchling rack system and am so impressed with it I have ordered more in different sizes for next season!!

This will house hatchling knob tailed geckos for the first few months of life until they are big enough to be upgraded to larger containers (or go to new homes).

It has grooves running across the back of the shelves and down the sides for a heat cord to run through, which will be run off a thermostat.

At this stage I haven't decided if for ventilation I want to cut a rectangle out of the front of each tub and stick flyscreen mesh on, or just use a soldering iron and do a line or two of holes all around the top of the tubs.

Anyway, this has sparked my interest in how people keep their hatchlings. I know there have been previous threads regarding rack systems, but if you lot are as crazy as me you would be constantly changing and upgrading your herp rooms LOL! (all except those with so much experience they already have the perfect set-ups!)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/1ad09cb8.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/d488ed9c.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/055d8c19.jpg

Ari
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Really really nice Sarah.

I would do the mesh thing for airation Saz. How will you heat this setup?

Sarah
06-13-2006, 08:39 AM
There is a ridge cut out of each shelf for heat cord to sit in, which is how it will be heated. I was really impressed!

:0)

Ari
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Gee that is cool. Better get it ready for the 10 x Pilbarensis hatchlings, with the first due to hatch between now & 2 days time.........LOL. You will need the space.

Sarah
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Here's a pic...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/saz1980/68a73460.jpg

Sarah
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
You must be SO excited!! Can't wait to see what your little ones look like!

Ari
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Gee yes well setup, great idea.

Sarah
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Not my idea, I bought it from a really nice fella here in Brissy. It's really well made, VERY heavy LOL!!

I'm getting a larger one to accommodate them when they get to 3+ months, and will be asking him to think up something for my hatchling strophs, although they will have to have lids on them, obviously.

clarkey
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Just get him to change the size of the shelves to allow for taller cages for the strophs, I am in the process of making similar rack systems for my childreni species as well as for my geckos, it is just a matter of finding the cages that you want to use then adjusting the shelves acordingly. At Big W they sell those large (around 30cm x 20 x 25) plastic aquariums with the mesh lid on for $11. I am buying a heap of those and using them for mine (not the childreni though)

Jason

markvij
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I use an IKEA racking system and small glass enclosures to house the animals in (cages originally designed to house spiders; it works perfectly for young geckos).

Mark

Haroldo
06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Nice rack Sarah. Looks to be a sturdy one out of melamine, no? Racks of that style are pretty common here in the states, but I'm currently experimenting with new designs. I'll have them complete by summers end, so keep looking in the off topic area.

Sarah
06-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, made out of melamine. It's really heavy!! I was very impressed with the simple idea of a groove running through it for the heat cord!

Would love to see your designs once you are finished.

Jayson
06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
If you dont mind me asking Sarah, how much did it cost?
Does the person make them to spec?
Do you know if he makes enclosures also?

Sorry for all the questions too, but by the looks of the racking your soon going to outgrow your Gex Room.

Sarah
06-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey Jayson,

It was $150 including the tubs, but I made an offer, was originally $200 I think.

Yes he makes to spec, he is currently making me a larger 20 tub rack for my advanced hatchlings.

His name in Rob (Robin), and he is a really nice fella who lives in Kedron I think it was. I will be buying more from him next season too, so I can fit more in my gecko room LOL!!

He makes beautiful enclosures too.

If you would like his email address pm me and I'll send it through.