PDA

View Full Version : Holodactylus

Coleonyx
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Do your holodactylus ever use the hides you provide for them? Mine always seem to be in the dirt during the day. lol !

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9378/dsc033629fm.jpg
here is one of their tunnels that they made against the glass :)

sikorae
06-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Brilliant pic, looks nice and cosy.

geckomaster
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I just got mine Thursday and made this elaborate tunnel system for them. What do they do, burrow next to the tunnels. Luckily they do seem quite active at night and will come out, and even use the tunnels, but during the day they bury themselves and I have to look under the tank to see where they are. It's like they do it out of spite.

Coleonyx
06-13-2006, 06:15 PM
:) lol. That is what mine do! They are really fun to watch. I love their tails! :lol:

ptenopus
06-13-2006, 08:34 PM
They wont use anything other than burrows dug by themselves.

markvij
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
They indeed like to dig. My animals are mostly in the moist corner of there enclosure, where they dig around a lot.

Mark

Hazpat
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
i dont even bother furnashing their cages I just put plenty of sand/peat for them to burrow in and they are doing pretty good

danscantle
06-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, mine only used burrows dug by themselves. I would keep cage furniture to a minimum, maybe just a water dish and a piece of tile (gives things an incentive to dig sometimes).

Coleonyx
06-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Would having a plant in there risk having them getting tangled in the roots?

ptenopus
06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
they will probably uproot a plant the first night, i have a piece of drift wood and damp sand/dirt, and thats it

geckomaster
06-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Mine use their own burrows during the day, but seem to enjoy the tunnel system (rigged out of hamster habitrail tubes :D ) during the night. I opted to use a heat lamp in place of the undertank heater to encourage them to come out and it seems to work. They usually are all out chilling at one point or another after midnight 'till about 4 or 5, then it's back to their tunnels. They don't seem to be too overtly shy either...I can walk to the tank and they'll look at me with little or no desire to slink away. They really are becoming my favorite new geckos.

Brian
07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Can't wait for mine to come. I wonder if we have enough people here to start a Holo forum for shareing Holo information.

Coleonyx
07-15-2006, 05:51 PM
haha. I doubt there is enough people OR information!

lol. A really great species though. Definatley one of my favorites!

geckomaster
07-16-2006, 11:52 PM
You're going to love them Brian. I liked them so much I'm getting another group from Coleonyx this week. I really do recommend the heat lamp and tubing though. Now that they're acclimated they love to bask and run around the tunnels all night. Gives me ample opportunity to observe them and check their status without disturbing them overmuch. Send us some pics when you get em and good luck!

Brian
07-17-2006, 01:47 AM
I hope so. :wink:

How much do I have to worry about the females health do to egg production?

geckomaster
07-17-2006, 02:14 AM
I believe that Ptenopus is one of the only ones to successfully breed them, so I would be curious as to the answer to this question as well.

Brian
07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
How deep will these want to go?

Coleonyx
07-17-2006, 01:51 PM
mine go all the way to the bottom of the substrate, which is 6 inches in my tanks.

Brian
07-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Do they share burrows or each have there own?

geckomaster
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Mine usually have their own, but sometimes their burrows are adjacent.

Coleonyx
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Once acclimated, the majority of mine have shared one hide, and the rest have made burrows not far from the hide. The hide is a clay saucer set upsidedown on the surface of the substrate, with a smaller saucer filled with water on top of it.

Brian
07-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Let's hope i can keep mine alive. They got here. I didn't relize how small some of them actually are.

geckomaster
07-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, I just noticed something interesting. I've heard complaints about how the males aren't as sturdy as females and die off easier. Well I noticed a habit of my first male, that my new male I just got today is also displaying. I don't use an undertank heater, but a heat lamp instead to encourage them to come out more. What I've noticed is that the females will bask towards the edges of the heated zone, and roam the tank more, while the males (I've been watching one for over a month, and now the new one on it's first night is doing the same) will bask directly under in the warmest spot and pretty much stay there. The two tanks are side by sides and they are in the exact same spot, curled up asleep. Their day behaviour is the same, they chill in their burrows, but at night they're there most of the night. I'm wondering if the males have a greater need for heat than the females, or do you think that they just dominate the best location? Looking forward to your feedback (if it's the latter I hope they knock it off or the ladies will want nothing to do with their rude selves :D ).

mark

Brian
07-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I was curious as to maybe risk taking behaviors played a role in the male mortality people were talking about.

Just curious approximately how big is your basking spot and how hot does it get approximately where the males sit?

geckomaster
07-19-2006, 01:11 AM
It's not that hot in the evening as I keep my room air conditioned inasmuch as it's a 4th floor attic apartment and I keep Goniurosaurus and cat geckos there also. The ambient temp of the room this time of night is around 70 by the cool parts and mid to upper 70's elsewhere depending on location in the room. Right now the temp at the hottest point under the lamp is 85 in one tank and 82 in the other. Now during the day the room gets warmer so I'd guess so do the hot spots, and I'm only using 70 watt, and may go to 100. I've also concluded that the females aren't frightened/intimidated by the males because I just compared my former group to the ones I got from Alex and it appears they are sub-adults being a little over half the size of group 1 so I don't think he would influence them as of yet. By the way please elaborate on what you mean by risk taking, cause I didn't quite understand.

Thanks,

mark

geckomaster
07-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Sorry to be a post-hog...I'll simmer after this, but this is fascinating to me. When I temped the tanks the one male moved from his corner to the other side of the tank under the light. Now I noticed that the basking spots dry out quicker from the heat. The new male's tank hasn't had a chance to dry yet, but the old males had and that corner was dry. He's trying to sleep on the wet side, but is perturbed and keeps lifting his, um, netherregions off of the wet substrate. Looking at the new male he's asleep, but his back end is lifter so as the hemipenis bulge is not touching the wet ground. Male number one doesn't do this when it's dry. Any ideas on this?

Done now,

Mark

Brian
07-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I meant risk taking as staying in dangerous situations or potentially longer. In the wild sometimes that skews or balances the sex ration in some way because one sex has higher mortality.

Can I ask another question. Do these actually make burrows or just dig down. I can't actually see burrows for 3 of the Holos while the other 3 stayed on the surface under stuff and packed themselves full of food again. I hope i'm not dealing with cave ins. . .

Coleonyx
07-20-2006, 02:27 AM
I have witnessed both (burrows and digging down). Once they got used to their surroundings, most of mine have just used the hides that I provided.

Brian
07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm not actually useing any supplemental heat yet. In some rooms here it's going above 90 in the day. They all seem to be eating so far fairly well. The biggest one-3 seem to be mainly useing the hides. 2-3 seem to be digging down maybe an inch or two. One though goes all the way down.

It seems they are making burrows that they close off. I just wanted to make sure my substrate wasn't collapseing.

These things eat so much . . .

Hey, at least they're still alive. :mrgreen:

geckomaster
07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Happy to hear they're doing well!!

Brian
07-21-2006, 03:31 AM
They all seem to be doing OK. Just really nervous about these.