PDA

View Full Version : Ptyodactylus......rags to riches

ptenopus
06-18-2006, 04:25 PM
skinny crappy import turns to fat megaproducing monster
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/elineye/DSCN0948.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/elineye/ptyobreeding.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/elineye/959a63e8.jpg
she has stuffed 4 clutches in this crack. my mini mass nesting site.

chahoua
06-18-2006, 04:38 PM
That's awesome! When some of the babies hatch, you'll have to post some pictures of them hanging out in the enclosure with their parents.

Coleonyx
06-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Which species is that? They are very colorful. Nice pics and good luck with the eggs!

ptenopus
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Thats guttatus, and the female turns a very neat kahki/tan color during breeding.
thanks

sikorae
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Thats excellant well done, looking forward to pics of hatchlings.

JBReptiles
06-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Ive often thought about getting this species.I may have to get some now.Their way awsome.

Kevin McRae
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Very cool! I have a few P. hasselquisti that are constantly breeding, and the female is defiantly gravid. I have been told they will not eat the hatchlings, is this true?

Thanks.

Bowfinger
07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Those are cool geckos, I wanted to get some from Marcus but was broke when he had them up for sale with a few others in the genus. Looks like you have brought out the best in them.

Afelinus
07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I guess now my name will be forever associated with"skinny,crappy imports".Oh well,time to try something else :oops:

Bowfinger
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I did not know he recieved them from you Marcus, and to be honest, did not think the first picture was in that bad a shape for an import of this species. My compliment was on his success with them and in no way directed in any other way.

ptenopus
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
haha, marcus, that female was not from you... it was a lone female i picked up at some hole in the wall pet shop here in LA.

sorry for the mix-up

PS> the male doing the business is from you though, and for the record, all the geckos that i have gotten from marcus AKA A.felinus have been in perfect shape.

Afelinus
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey Guys,I was just joking,I just got a PM from Shane and I told him I was cracking up while I was typing it.Actually there were some pretty thin Guttatus that I gave to Ptenopus for free,and if that was one of them or those are any of the others,you did a wonderful job.Historically those Egypt/N.African shipments come in real bad shape,but everyone seemed to do ok with them.I wouldve responded sooner,but I was eating dinner.Sorry,I shouldve checked this thread so this didnt happen,but it was funny.I didnt take any offense,now if that was said about one of my acclimated Felinus,well thats a different story. :wink: Take care Guys.

Afelinus
07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
P.S. I will continue to import for 4 more years.I said I would it for 5 years and then stop.I hope we get as many imports into responsible breeders hands,so we see exactly what was done here with these Ptyodactylus.Thats what we all need to be about,because someday,our kids and future herpers are only going to have c/b stock to work with.May sound unrealistic,but look around,species of all kinds of living things are being eradicated every day on this earth.I will now step down from the soapbox. :|

ptenopus
07-12-2006, 10:37 PM
i agree completely. Out of the 5 ptyos i got from you, one male didnt make it, and the rest are fat and healthy and chirping all day (3 males and 2 females leaves one dude out of luck). But i have 12 eggs cookin so he'll get a girlfriend in a year.

adios

Afelinus
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
There ya go,thats what I'm talking about.Thats only the fourth gecko I've heard about,of the hundreds I have sent out thats perished.Some people have the idea that cost dictates the level of care and attention a gecko gets.YOU and most of the people I have sent geckos to are people I feel totally confident in your ability to care for them.Whether 15.00 or 1500.00,they all are valuable.I know you and the others feel the same way.All it takes is reclassification of a CITES appendix and all of a sudden its the most sought after gecko.They are all valuable.Most herpetoculturists here care that much to treat them equally and understand that.All the acclimated geckos are a testament to that line of thinking.Importing is the easy part,its the hard work all you who take them in and acclimate them to captivity,should be noted for.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Preston Cook
07-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows were I can aquire some of these wounderfull species?

ptenopus
07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
check the classifieds here and other reptile sites.