PDA

View Full Version : South African LYGODACTYLUS---Dwarf gecko

phaylanx
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Would like to correspond with others working with this genus---------I feel it is the most forgotten beautiful gecko in the world------All those that agree are invited to cheer---those that disagree must answer this question----have you watched a healthy colony????????? If your answer is yes----then our tastes differ---if you answer no----you have missed a wonderful experience

bugman426
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I love them..which are you working with?

phaylanx
06-23-2006, 08:38 PM
currently i have two--------the identification is ????????

one is what i call the gray goost-----it changes from a dull slate color with two dark lines down the side with a dull yeallow black marked head-----to a flourcent gray body with a brilliant tiger yellow gead wilth black stripes-----then if in an excited mood his deu lap is extended below his chin which is a brilliant white

the other is similiar but it is zebra striped when excited never has a yellow head and is only black and white---as of this date i have not seen a deu lap

breeding activity in the yellow headed one not with the zebra ones---no eggs have been found

but they are extreemy fast and can jump with the best---jumping forward doing a flip and land on the screen wire lid and catch a fly at the same time--------they are faster than my klemmeri which i thought were olympic winners------but they were outclassed by the south african geckos---i have dubbed the jumping gray goost---with tiger heads

phaylanx
06-24-2006, 12:49 PM
one of my geckos was identified as L. luteopicturatus-----i have doubts---but no knowledge that i can trust------we want to write a book on the care and husbandry of the south african dwarf gecko----any information any breeder is willing to share will be helpful--------thanks------the current available info is nil on google-----if you are aware of another source please share----this lovely gecko does not deserve to go extinct------and it is endangered by a parasite that kills most infected animals-----those in capitivity dessicate and die quite quickly------the parasite worms seem to make the host appear like its sides are moving-----time for taps

bugman426
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
do you have any pics of thee guys?

The professional breeder series : day geckos book has a lot of info on them

geckomaster
06-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I have three that I acquired some months ago. From the photos on Gekkota I've made the preliminary assumption that they are L. Kimhowelli. I got the trio unsexed and according to the literature had unfortunately gotten three males as the females were supposedly brown. Well, one of my "males" is now gravid so I know that at least one is female and looks identical to the others. Due to their quick speed I haven't really been able to examine super close due to fear of an unplanned free range gecko :D I do know that from base visuals the three do look identical with the one that is gravid having slightly less swelling at the base of the tail, but not much. I hope that those of us working with them can start to establish a nice cb market as that their status in the wild is quite unfortunate.

Mark

phaylanx
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
THANKS FOR THE shout------we now have two on the team to fight the extermination of the dwarf gecko-----no need for further documentation of the geckos---the term fast is quite accurate---another term might be invented------say----superman-gecko========faster than any slight of hand artest---------i was told the kowanii were fast-----they are still in the box when the L. is back waiting for the second race

geckomaster
06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Ooof, tell me about their speed. I opened the screen door one day and saw a flicker out of the corner of my eye. Two days later the little guy runs over my foot in the bathroom not only stopping my heart, but leading me on a chase that was worthy of a Monty Python skit. Luckily I prevailed. I try not to open the door anymore :D

phaylanx
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
HOW YOU PREVAILED AND CAUGHT THE SPEED DEMON---IS NOT BELIVEABLE-----YET A FELLOW HERPER WOULD NOT LIE---STRETCH THE TRUTH---OR EVEN BEND THE FACTS---OR THAT REASON I BELIEVE-----but help my unbelief !!!!!! my solution to the escape problem is so fool proof that they will not escape even if i open the door----turn to get fruit flys or millers and return---the secret is a simple coller around the door going into the cage---this lip stops the rush---and the plants in the rear make escape to the front less desireable-----however one started up my arm from inside the cage -------and almost made good his escape---my poor eye sight and low circulation in my arms let me almost not know his attempt at flight=======i let the exclusion strip as i call it extend in the cage 2 1/2 inches-----i can take a jar of millers and let escape the daily ration escape without touching anything----go to next cage without cross contamination=====i weld screen on top and door and areas of the bottom----for ventlation and misting----the bottom screen lets me drench the leaves to wash the poop and the res. under the cage maintains the needed humidity---to date the evaporation keeps the res. dry enough so i have not drained it-------the geckos can not get to the waste water-----so the paraste problem is less and less over time--------the res----has supports to hold the screen level that are plastic welded to the plastic base--------and swamp flys breed in the water-----as yet they are not being fed-----i plan on that feature when the parasite problem is 100 % over------then a small port will be opened to make a more balanced eco system---if i were sure the flys would not be a parasite vector---they would e food today----------but they live and die and never become food for now

geckomaster
06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
That's a great plan for escape prevention. I'm not quite that high tech yet, though they tend to avoid the door area nowadays preferring to bask on their plants with their cagemates (a pair of mourning geckos to whom they've become fast and true friends, though I haven't asked their opinions in the wee hours when the mournings get chirping...I swear listening to them almost sounds like their talking...I'm sure the dwarfs just cover their ears). I'll definitely let you know when I get some offspring and maybe we can work with some others towards some swapping to ensure a healthly gene pool.

Mark

phaylanx
06-28-2006, 08:05 PM
It is impossible to get a large gene pool and not ake a bisness out of it---and the LYgodactylus are so undervalued by the large imports it is a labor of love---and curosity more than greed----though in the future the value might sky rocket----if so i hope we get the breeding program going with a vared gene pool so it can sustain itself-------it takes 10 unrelated wild pairs to get to that point---and then you need 5 populations from different locations-----then you need to keep perfect records---the whooping crane may fail for lack of a large enough gene pool-----i pray it is adequate----this thread is fun----i hope more get involved---ken

geckomaster
07-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Well ya jinxed me phalanx. Opened the screen door this morning to check on the eggs affixed to the corners and one of the lygo's escaped. Made a good chase of it, but it made it to the laundry area. I think it was the female too. The speed of those things is unbelievable. I'm crossing my fingers that I can find it tonight. The good news is there are far too many eggs to belong to the two mourning geckos alone, so I'm hoping to have some babies soon.

phaylanx
07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS--TRY USING LIVE BAIT------MEAL MOTH GRUBS---THEY LOVE THEM AND WILL COME FROM HIDING TO GET THEM A LARGE FISH NET AND YOU WILL GET YOUR DWARF GECKO-----INDIAN MEAL MOTH GRUBS ARE EASY TO RAISE----ANY PET STORE HAS THEM IN THE BIRD SEED-------ANY WAY LOTS OF LUCK--IF YOU NEED A CULTURE---JUST ASK

geckomaster
07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks, as long as it doesn't get into the walls I think It'll turn up. But I'll try the bait idea tonight, see if it goes for it.

Thanks,

phaylanx
07-21-2006, 04:52 PM
they are a day gecko so make sure your lights are on long enough for them to wake up or be awake----before trying the bait-----food is too hard to come by------ken

geckomaster
07-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to do that.

Mark