PDA

View Full Version : Light question (Helmeted geckos)

Carlos Vicente
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Hello. Anyone keep helmeted geckos without UV?

Thanks

Carlos Vicente
08-10-2006, 07:44 PM
This is my helmeted's cage. But Can I keep babies in a rack?

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/358/indexey3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JaeHood
08-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I keep my helmeteds without a UV bulb, however one is going through a period of very poor sheds, and the other's appetite is starting to worry me, However i think i have the problems under control. From what I had read UV lighting is optional.. however I dont know any of this for a fact. Helmeteds are hard to find info about

Jaguar Gecko77
08-11-2006, 12:48 AM
leland breeds these guys...or at least he has bred them. That is where i got mine from I don't know if uv is necessary however i did catch my little guy out in the day. Supplementation is very important as it is with all geckos. So I would suggest that a uv bulb could'nt hurt and would be a plus for the psychological aspect of the am/pm photoperiod.
I have to add my personal formula is to supplement nocturnal geckos and use uv if i see them coming out during the day. I have seen my helmeted out during the day so I utilize uv in his case.
well theres my take on it these guys are soo awesome im suprised they arn't more popular!
You said you have babies so you must be doing somthing right! In reguards to the rack heat, proper photoperiod, supplementation and a clean space and I can't see a problem. But as with all geckos babies always need optimal conditions. Personally I take no chances.
well i guess thats about it this is of course all from experience and i am no where near an expert on this species. I know it sometimes helps to hear what other people are doing Im sure you know all this info but it is probibly affermation on your routine.
Good luck!
Jaguar-

Carlos Vicente
08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I keep them with UV actually beacuse I read that they sleep on rocks sometimes in wild. I don't have babies yet but my females are laying eggs. Is difficult to find infomation then I'm looking for personal experiences.

Thanks