PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Hand Training Baby Tokays?

tokay,tokay
07-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I've now five baby tokays that have hatched in the past six months and I'm looking for a method for trianing them so they are not so shy.I recently decided to sell my breeding pair because they were extremely vicious and never showed their faces. Considering that they were wild caught adults, I understood that they were probably never going to change.But now with thier young I figure i have a shot at least getting them to come out more often. I don't want to pet them just see them ever once and a while,and not have them try to remove my figures during check ups or cleaning.

ringsX12
07-11-2006, 01:26 AM
i purchased three captive born last dec. the females never come near me, and if i get too close they attack. but the male doesnt mind even being touched. i did it by letting him eat meal worms out of my hand. and now that he is big enough he takes pinkies right out of my palm. sometimes he even jumps on my hand while i am cleaning and seems disappointed that there is no food. try hand feeding them out of your palm. dont hold it with your figers or you will lose some skin. if they dont take it from you try putting the meal worms in a butter lid or something unnatural that isnt in the cage. this will get them used to eating from an unusual place. after they get used to going straight to the lid when they see it try using your hand instead. my male caught on to the little game very quickly. i just wish the females would. i know it seems wierd a male being nicer than a female but its true. ill try to get a pic soon.

tokay,tokay
07-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the tip.Therer are fiive of them so trying to focus on one is hard.I might part with a few so I can concentrate on a the rest.I do get tired of seeing an empty tank.