PDA

View Full Version : New Tokay Owner

geckogirl13
07-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi, I just recenty got my first geckos, and joined the forum! My husband and I were browsing the reptile section at a local pet store and we were approached by another couple who offered us a Tokay and his setup for very little $. They said they found him abandonded at the local college dorm over a year ago, and they were started to have problems caring for him. We were happy to take him, and bought another just today. I was going to take some pics this afternoon, only to be outsmarted by a dead camera battery. But it is recharged and ready to go, so if I get time I will post some pics tomorrow. Sorry to blather on then, just wanted to introduce myself.

Amanda

geckogirl13
07-28-2006, 12:33 AM
We've had our female for three days, and she does not seem to be adjusting as well as I had hoped. We bought her from a pet store that seemed to keep her in less than desirable conditions. She is eating well now, even though she was rather thin when we bought her. She is not very active at night either, although I've seen her move around during the morning hours. Her coloration seems to be a bit too dark, which I assumed was stress, but she hasn't changed much since we've had her.

Does anyone know about how long with the proper conditions, she should recover from the move and begin to act normally? Also, I was wondering why my male tokay doesn't "bark"? He looks healthy, seems happy and confident, but he doesn't call out at all, even with a new roomate.

Thanks Amanda

P.S. If it helps, they were both properly sexed.

geckogirl13
07-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I have noticed that my male has been eating most of the crixs when I feed them and the female has to nab up what she can as quickly as she can, only to get a few. I am worried about her not being able to eat enough. I have also noticed that the male sometimes sits on the female, not in the sexual way but on her head like laying on her head. Is this normal? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Maybe I just worry too much, I know nature has a way of working best if left alone. I just love my tokays so much and want the best for them.

thanks Amanda

Riverside Reptiles
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I would separate them for the time being and allow her to adjust to her new home without the added stress of competing with a male. At least for a couple of weeks.

Also, keep in mind that most tokays are wild caught and come with free internal parasites with every purchase. So I'd get stool samples over to your local herp vet so they can deworm them for you.

cliff_f
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree with ea770 you should seperate them for a few weeks so they dont have to compete for food. You said that you female is eating but isnt very active that is going to be normal bringing her into a new home and she wasnt very healthy when you got her so I would give her a weeks or so and you should notice her acting alot better. Also you male isnt calling they usually dont call unless they are breeding my Males usually dont call most of they year untill breeding season and then for a few months you hear them all the time. My Tokay always lay on each other when they are in their hides or hiding spots that is normal they always seem to hang out with each other except at night when they are roaming around for food.

geckogirl13
07-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the information! I was considering seperating them, but I just wanted to get the opinion of someone more experienced with them, and I wasn't sure how long to keep them apart. The female seems to be behaving a bit better this afternoon. I'll try and post some pics soon, once my camera is fixed.

Thanks a bunch
Amanda

geckogirl13
07-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Today I went and bought a new 20g terrarium and took out the male and made him a new home for now. tonight when I fed them the female gobbled up the crixs just as fast as I was putting them in there. I dusted them and also gutloaded them prior. I think she was just not comfortable in the terrerium with the male. also she was not as big and fast as he is, making it harder for her to capture the prey. She even came out and was rather active, I viewed from a distance as not to scare her. Anyway thanks for all the help I am glad to see that she is looking happier now. I will keep them seperate for about a week or two and then introduce the male back into the home. I will use the 20g for a pair of crested I was wanting.

Thanks again Amanda

Riverside Reptiles
07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Glad to hear that she's doing better. Don't rush the reintroduction. Also give them plenty of stuff to hide in and/or behind (live or fake plants, rocks, etc). And since you have them seperated now, I really suggest getting a fecal sample from both and take it to the vet to check for internal parasites. You'll be glad that you did in the long run.

geckogirl13
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your help and suggestions I will get a fecal sample to a vet to check them out. Is there any thing else I should get the vet to check for? Do I need to accualy take the tokay to the vet for any reason? I did not think so. Just the fecal sample right?

Anyway thanks a bunch!!! Amanda

Riverside Reptiles
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
If they're otherwise seemingly healthy and doing well, I'd just take the fecals in. Since they're both just settling in, the added stress of going to the vet isn't going to help anything. But like I said before, most tokays are wild caught and do have internal parasites. So it's almost assured that a good worming is in order.

cliff_f
07-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Like ea700 said dont rush the reintroduction and when you do I would recomend puting the male in the females cage. Fecals are a good idea and they dont cost to much either. I cant wait to see some pics!

cliff_f
07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
sorry about that Ethan it is ea7770.

tokay,tokay
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Just thought I'd ask since no one else did, What size cage are planning to put the tokays in once they get reintroduced to each other?