PDA

View Full Version : Lepidodactylus lugrubis Agression

Silvershark
07-29-2006, 07:05 AM
One of my female mourning geckos has recently been going over the top with dominance over the other and I can't understand why. They are both around 4 months old.

They have plenty of space, lots of hiding places and plenty of food and water but the bigger female prevented the other from going anywhere near the food and even the water. It was a case of everytime she tried to go and feed, the dominant female would appear and chase her. I have since seperated the subordinate female from the other one because she was looking stressed and a bit thin. They've been apart for a week and already she has improved and gained some weight. Having read up on them this has been unexpected. Initially the two of them were fine together it was only within the two weeks before they were seperated that the dominant female started being highly agressive.

For the time being the two are being kept seperate, I'll be getting a new vivarium for my other gecko today now I know she is eating and everything as normal.

Has anyone experienced or known of this to happen before? Any advice appreciated.

kansasboy22
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
This is common when you have a smaller Ll in with a bigger one, they should stay separated in two different cages until they are about the same size but keep the cages right next to each other so they can see each other but not get to each other. I have 13 Ll's right now 12 of which I hatched myself I have 8 togeather right now that have to be separated to were there is only 4 in each cage the rule is for every 10 gals you can have 6 Ll's in. Keep them separated to were there the same size and they should be fine as long as you have plenty of hidding spaces.hope this helps.

Silvershark
07-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah that helps, thank you :D When I put them together they were the same side but the dominant female started getting all of the food. I'll put their vivs together tomorrow so they can see each other :D

silamikanico
11-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi! when I bought my lugubris I was told that while held in a group one of the females (the strongest/biggest) usually takes the "male roll" and dominate the group. I've also seen very agressive behavior in my group. Once I even saw the dominant female carrying one female with her tail wraped around the other females head! :o

Regards//Simon

Silvershark
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, after been seperated for a while my two females are getting on well now. Oddly though it is the SMALLER of the two which is now dominant :lol:

GeckoTom
11-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi

I am breeding them in boxes with 10 l and always have several generations in it! never had troubles!
I think, and a friend had the same problems, it is not good to put them together again when separated!

I have always enough food in the tank like baby fruit and lots of Thermobia domestica.

Silvershark
11-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi

I am breeding them in boxes with 10 l and always have several generations in it! never had troubles!
I think, and a friend had the same problems, it is not good to put them together again when separated!

I have always enough food in the tank like baby fruit and lots of Thermobia domestica.

My two were fine being put together. They lived in seperate cricket tubs for the first couple of months as well. I did keep their two vivariums next to each other so that they could see each other but they quickly sorted themselves out when put back together again.

Elizabeth Freer
11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi ~

Has anyone tried putting out a couple lids of baby food instead of just one to reduce competition for food?

Have you all heard them chirp?

Silvershark
11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi ~

Has anyone tried putting out a couple lids of baby food instead of just one to reduce competition for food?

Have you all heard them chirp?

I tried that but it didn't work. Now they're happy sharing from the same food bowl though :lol:

Mine chirp all the time and I SWEAR one cheeps AT me when she wants something :lol:

Elizabeth Freer
12-03-2006, 03:03 AM
I tried that but it didn't work. Now they're happy sharing from the same food bowl though :lol:

Mine chirp all the time and I SWEAR one cheeps AT me when she wants something :lol:

Silvershark ~

Your Lls must be happy! Nothing like being vocal about one's needs :-}