PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Taking the Plunge... Roaches

Ross Payan -LeosAnonymous
08-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I have not fed crickets for a couple years now, I just won't do it anymore. They smell and are loud as hell. Been feeding a staple of mealworms for awhile now, but roaches sound intriguing. (wtf, did I just say that?)

So on to roaches...

The first factor is determining what species of roach would best suit my needs. I'll be feeding leopard geckos of all sizes. Non-flying/climbing is a must.

I understand that you do no feed the adults, as they are intended to be breeders, so what techniques/methods do you guys use to make sure that you have roaches of appropriate size available at all times?

Thanks.

Riverside Reptiles
08-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Ross, if all you're going to be feeding is leos, I'd go with lateralis. They're cricket sized without the hassles. And they're super fast breeders. They breed fast enough that once they're established it's no problem to feed off the adults. They're low maintenance too. A tub, some egg crate, roach food, and an occasional misting is about all that's needed.

Starrynightexotics
08-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Any of the common non climbers would be great fror Leos, if youre using substrate and prefer to feed free range in your terraria go with lateralis as they are non burrowers. The other species get larger so if you dont have any issues with feeding off burrowers the larger species of roach may be a little more economical.

08-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I use paper towel for substrate, so borrowing shouldn't be a concern.

It seems that lateralis would be superior for feeding hatchlings/juvies, being that they reproduce the quickest.

Would dubia be a superior choice for feeding adults? Or would I honestly be able to produce enough adult lateralis to support 30+ adult leopards?

Starrynightexotics
08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Personally, Id go with the dubia, theyre a meatier roach and leopards get pretty good sized. Also, the baby dubia would be perfect for young/hatchling leopard geckos whereas with the lateralis youd need to let them grow a bit before becoming very usefula s they hatch out only very slightly larger than a pinhead cricket.

08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Any estimation regarding how many adult dubia would be needed to support 30ish adults and 100+ hatchlings/juvies?

Also, what do you guys do to keep them in similarly sized groups, like with crickets or mealworms you have different tubs for different sizes. Or do you need to hand pick each roach before each feeding based on size?

Thanks again for the replies, I greatly appreciate it.

PS: Still open to pro-Lateralis input as well. Adult dubia are too large to feed to leopards right?

Riverside Reptiles
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
You could always give both a try. They're cheap these days. Buy a mixed sized group of 100 of each. Try 'em both. Once you decide, feed off the ones you don't like while the others establish themselves. I breed hissers, dubia and lateralis and all of my geckos get lateralis. The lateralis breed faster than dubia. And they move faster than dubia which tends to stimulate the geckos more. Dubia like to play dead. And I believe that adult dubia would be too large for leos. So you'll end up with excess adults at some point.

As for you other questions, you can keep all sizes in one tub. Or seperate them into different sizes in different tubs. Either way works fine.

Starrynightexotics
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Id never feed off adult dubia to anything, nymphs only, you can always ell off adults or start new colonies with them.

I sort my roaches using tubs outfitted with different sizes of hardware mesh, and place them into a seperate bin, takes about 5 minutes to sort them into easily fed off sizes. I do this with all my roach species.

You would want a good sized colony of dubia for a collection of that size.. 300 adults or so. I use Dubia, Orange heads and lateralis, getting into more than one species is never a bad thing, youll never run out.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Dubia for sure...nice sized nymphs, where you need only one! I had posted a reply, actually was the first...must have hit the X button instead of send...whoops...

08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Ken,

Would you mind giving me the reasons behind your pro-dubia stance? Not sure what you mean when you said "nice sized nymphs, where you need only one!".

Thanks again for all the replies guys. Have ya'll noticed an overall improvement in the health/vigor/growth/etc. of your geckos since switching them over to roaches?

I'm trying to give my animals the best nutrition possible, being that I'd personally rather stick to mealies. :oops:

Starrynightexotics
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
What Ken means is that dubia nymphs get to a size, but are still soft enough, that you can feed a single insect large enough to fill up your gecko at a feeding.

Ken Bartenfeld
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Exactly...like the weight of a nice sized dubia...its approx the weight of like 3 crickets...sometimes more! I feed my amyae around 2 gram dubia!