PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Afelinus
08-04-2006, 02:36 AM
What if you were aware that a certain species was probably deserving of a protected status,yet it didnt have one yet.What measures or effort would you,or how could you see about getting it protected.There are sometimes where certain species are erroneously named or labeled by the permit issuing government,not realizing the error.How could you go about correcting that?

Riverside Reptiles
08-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I'd hoard as many of them as I could for myself, wait for them to die off in the wild, and then sell the babies at exorbitantly high prices.

sorry...just kidding

Other than going through the red tape of the normal political channels to try and get something protected, I'm not sure what else you could do. "Probably deserving of protected status" isn't going to get you far though I don't think. Most governments wait until it's extremely in need of protected status before they bother to do anything. Unfortunately, reptiles don't tend to be on the top of most gov't officials list of things to take care of.

If they were erroneously labeled and made it all the way into the US, there's not much you can do at all except hope they made it into the hands of people who could care for them properly. Perhaps contact the issuing gov't and let them know that they're mistakenly allowing this to happen. It's not like you could really send them back to be reintroduced.

Also, keep in mind when it comes to "erroneous labeling", it may not be so "erroneous". Corruption runs rampant in many (most?) govt's and in a third world area, where money is tight and over site is little, a few $$$ can certainly purchase an "erroneous label"

geckomaster
08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
omg, that was the funniest thing I've seen all week :D

Bowfinger
08-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Do most of the paperwork for them, give them a picture of one that looks cute, show it on the local news and make them a hero for signing on the doted line.