PDA

View Full Version : broken egg. advice?

spidergecko
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
The story:
I have an Agamura egg that is about 5-10 days "overdue". I was examining it today and it broke. The gecko is alive and wiggles. The membrane around the gecko is intact except on the bottom where the yolk sac remains. The yolk was slightly leaking, there was a little blood where some vessels broke.

I had the hatchling in a humid container but realised this is probably not the best thing to do (i.e.: mould, rot) so I moved the broken egg to a piece of screen suspended in a deli cup and I'm incubating dry as normal. This should keep the bacteria to a minimum and allow the yolk and blood to dry. The bleeding has stopped and the yolk tear is sealed, glueing the egg to the screen.

Has anyone had experience with a premature cracking in a hard-shelled egg species which is fully developed except for the attached yolk? This happened to me 3 years ago and I took the gecko to the vet who then cut the yolk sac free and the gecko was dead by the morning. I don't want that again.

Sorry, no pics. I wouldn't be able to take ones that showed anything, anyway.

spidergecko
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Never mind. It's dead.

Reptiluvr
08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
I have had this happen with E. macularius and Uroplatus sikorae. I did not find anything that I could do to help. :(