PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch desert banded.

miss libby
08-09-2006, 11:36 PM
This tiny little guy was caught by my husband and is only about an inch long, look at it compared to my keyboard in the back ground. I figured that it must be a hatchling or
close to it. I tossed in 3 tiny little mealies from my mealie colony and he
snatched them up hungrely. Im concered about its left foot, its all black
as you can see. Ive been keeping it moist in the container i got it in and it looks a little better like it might be coming off. Could this possibly be from a bad shed probably its first one, he was like this when i got him. If he losses his foot he wont be able to climb like he should so im thinking about keeping him.
http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules/photopost/data/503/medium/geckobaby.jpg

Minhawali
08-10-2006, 04:41 AM
Not a desert banded.
Looks like a Hemidactylus turcicus.

Johan.

GoldenGateGeckos
08-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I agree... It is a Mediterranean House Gecko ( H. turcicus) juvenile. Cute little guy!

Griesi
08-10-2006, 01:47 PM
And it is a very light one! Are the populations you have in the US all that light? They vary a lot and I found the colour of mine turcicus hatchlings to be very incubation-temperature dependent.

Best
Karsten

miss libby
08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I live in desert hot springs california it has to be a desert gecko.
I think ive seen older ones and they were a bit darker. He is
well hydrated so that might be why he is lighter. im going
to put him in a new tank today. I named it tiny for now. I
hope his poor little toes dont hurt.

EDIT:
I was just looking at his foot and its looking alot better.
There is only a small black part now i think his foot and
toes ae gonna make it.
http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules/photopost/data/503/babygecko.jpg

JBReptiles
08-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Its not a coleonyx..Thats all i know..does look like a hemidactylus...They are in the area now.

Griesi
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I live in desert hot springs california it has to be a desert gecko.
I think ive seen older ones and they were a bit darker. He is
well hydrated so that might be why he is lighter. im going
to put him in a new tank today. I named it tiny for now. I
hope his poor little toes dont hurt.

I`am very sure, that it is a very light Hemidactylus turcicus.

Karsten

docszoo
08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I can even tell its not a banded gecko just by looking at his eyes from the picture. WAY too big.

Nathan Hall
08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
As everyone else said, it is a Hemidactylus turcicus-100% sure. They are often that light around here (Houston, TX). They do quite well in the desert. I found countless specimens on my last trip to west Texas. It is desert out there too.

ptenopus
08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
those hemi's have been in southern cali for some years now, but its always cool to find one.

sarahjane85
08-11-2006, 03:12 PM
that's what I thought when I saw it -- Medit. gecko -- they're hatching like crazy here in Austin this month -- outside stone walls are covered with the little buggers and have to be careful at night so I don't close them in a door. Love it when they are gravid -- you can see the eggs through their back. :lol:

miss libby
08-13-2006, 04:39 AM
The little buggers can climb up glass tanks, apparently the lid was laft cracked and the little bugger escaped from me. Well at least i got to help it with its foot and it got a few good meals.