PDA

View Full Version : What should I get?

silent screamer
08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Fish of all i have to say hello, i am new here, so let me begin, I currently own a leo, and i find him/her amazing, and i was wondering if any one knows any kind of gecko i can keep in a 5 gal (8" W X 14" L X 9" H, i can flip it as i have not made a top/ front depending on wich way it faces) also i must mention it has to be pretty cheap as i am going to callege and i also would better if it is common is eastern canada. please let me know, even if it does cost a bit. thanks

Jaguar Gecko77
08-11-2006, 01:04 AM
The 5 gal really limits you that is too small for any gecko really. =/ viper geckos are cool and small and easy to care for it may thrive in a 5 gallon. But to be honest i would have to reccommend upgrading to a ten gallon. It is much healthier and not much bigger then you could fit a pictus, a viper gecko, a helmeted gecko or even a day gecko. I know in a dorm space is priceless but I think it would be worth it. (lol i would put one of those not all of those lol just making myself clear that would be a mess!) Viper geckos price in at around $30. and pictus around $25. making them the least expensive.
Well good luck with your choice!
Jaguar-

the moof
08-11-2006, 06:16 AM
If you can keep a regulated temperature in your room you can go with Lepidodactylus lugubris for about $2 a gecko, and just let them run wild :D haha. Its been done before ;)

I do agree though, 5 gal is not really very much... Viper geckos would fit this sort of enclosure superbly though, if you upgrade to a 10 gal. In a 10 gal you could quite certainly keep a smaller phelsuma, though admittedly thats not always an easy option. Personally I would suggest a viper or a pictus.

best of luck,
*THe moof*

silent screamer
08-11-2006, 03:40 PM
well fistly thank you very much for your replies, i will look up a viper geco, and see, i know i would love to have a 10 gal to keep them in but my land lady(i am in the basment of a house) is kinda unsure about my leo, i have to keep him at my frients apt untill i get the ok( i trust my friend very much he never let me down yet , hopefully that settles your stomachs lol) i figuered that my 5 gal i could easily hide in my closet, what kind of things do i need for a viper gecko(ie substrate, hides, trees?) thanks ahead of time.

Jaguar Gecko77
08-12-2006, 06:18 PM
A basic viper gecko setup is similar to a leopard gecko set up .
Paper towel as substrate a heat lamp at one end of the tank and a hide box (i like using a coconut cut in half with a little hole when you spray the inside it stays humid for a while which helps with sheds) food dish water dish. and thats about it. Also don't forget to but your hide box on the cool side of the tank. thats probibly the most cost effective way to house a viper gecko.
Good Luck!
Jaguar gecko-

MattL
08-13-2006, 08:15 PM
You could easily house a steno in there.

miss libby
08-13-2006, 09:38 PM
A medaterrainian gecko would be ok in a five gallon i had one and
they only get a couple inches long. The only thing is that they
can climb the glass so you have to be sure the lid is always on.
All you need for one is a branch or log and a fake plant and
they like to blend right in to it. Im catching them left and right
here in dhs ca. I just made a post about a tiny one that my
friend caught and gave to me.

chahoua
08-14-2006, 02:20 AM
The 5 gallon tank is actually a great size. You can keep pairs of the smaller Pachydactylus, pairs and/or trios of many Gonatodes and Sphaerodactylus, or a couple Mourning geckos (all female species), but overall, I agree with Igcarman, you could fit a pair of Stenodactylus stenodactylus in there easily.

Steno steno's are attractive, easy to keep, aren't skittish like a Mourning or Mediterranean gecko (but males H. turcicus do have a nice call), are cheaper than viper geckos, and in my opinion, more fun to keep (no offense to you viper guys, they are fun too). You're also likely to hear some chirping from time to time.