PDA

View Full Version : spider gecko deformity

spidergecko
08-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Yesterday I had a very late hatchling finally emerge (about 2 weeks overdue) and here he is:

Notice the problem? That's a twisted up, stubby tail. The left over umbilical chord isn't a problem but I've never seen a twisted up tail like that. I won't cull this guy but I predict he probably won't make it to adulthood. It's pretty sad.

ptenopus
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
I had a coleonyx mitratus hatch with a tail that looked alot like that, and he was fine and eating well. As he grew, the tail would literally tangle in his back feet and trip him. So i thought, its a tail. Im gonna pull it off and maybe it will regrow straight. So i pulled it off, and it regrew straight. I wouldnt try this until the gecko is at least 6 months old. but seriously it worked. and the gecko is still around today.

Palex134
08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
that is very sad, I had some crested gecko hatch out deformed this year, along with an anery honduran milksnake with no tail, just a stub.

hope he does well, good luck with him!

miss libby
08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
It dont look that bad i think it will make it. Why would a stubby tail kill it?
Now if it has other problems then thats another story. I would try what
ptenopus did if it has problems walking with it. Wonder why it came out
that way could it be temp fluctuations?

spidergecko
08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
The stubby tail isn't what I thought would kill it. It's the overall weakness, the deformity, and the remaining yolk chord. The baby looks much better as of today but it still hasn't shed and that's not good. Maybe in the next day or so it should slough the skin and drop the chord.

The temperature in the incubator has been consistent for the past few months. It fluctuates within 1 degree which is a lot better than previous years. But this wasn't the only hatchling to take it's time coming out. All of my spider geckos have taken up to a month longer to hatch.

Agamura tails are hard to pull off so even if I wanted to yank it, I'd probably end up ripping it out of the gecko. Besides, it looks like a "Porky Pig" tail so I can name him Porky (or Petunia); if he makes it.

Coleonyx
08-17-2006, 09:23 PM
That always stinks when that happens.

Looks like a knob tailed gecko now though.

spidergecko
08-19-2006, 03:57 PM
He died.

ptenopus
08-19-2006, 04:17 PM
sorry to hear it man