PDA

View Full Version : geckolepis eggs!

oscar
08-24-2006, 09:25 PM
just out of some curiousity, tonite i lifted up my geckolepis rubbermaid and spied 2 eggs thru the bottom. i dug em out and stuck them in some perlite, dry, and in my incubator which is around 84F. i got eggs within the 1st week of getting them back in april and had them in wet perlite and they molded in days, so i tried dry this time. anyone have any more advice?
thanks.

Scott

danscantle
08-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Scott-

I've never kept Geckolepis, but I would try and incubate them Phelsuma style. On a humid medium, but touching a dry substrate like a bottle cap. Are these the G. cf. anomola that came in earlier this year?

Good luck.

Palex134
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
oh wow you are so lucky! I am so jealous! Are the anomola the smaller species? lets see some pics! I cant wait to get some! Congrats!

oscar
08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Dan, i've never had Phelsuma, but the description you have me sounds like how cresteds are incubated and thats exactly how i did the first set. i did have a smaller deli cup so maybe it was too wet. the top layer was dry, but maybe i still had too much water. any recommendations on ratio? how about temps? they arent the WC group that came in, but some CB's from Jay that he was generous enough let me take off his hands. :D

Peter, i posted some pics back wheni got them. here's the link:
http://geckosunlimited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7032
i am unsure as to what species they are. once i get a trio or 2, i'll be glad to sell some to ya, so pray for them to hatch. :lol:

Scott

Starrynightexotics
08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Id set them directly into dry sand in a small container, like a pop bottle lid or what have you, then add them into a larger cup with very moist incubation medium. If the eggs come into contact at all with direct moisture youll have problems.

Palex134
08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
ya the phelsuma idea sounds great, considering they are found in similar areas. What many people do is put the eggs on a milk carton lid or film canister top, and place that on perlite, so they are not in direct contact.

Oscar, I am going to be calling Jay Sommers next week in hopes of getting a pair of the smaller species just like yours.

How are you keeping them?

Thanks man, good luck!

JBReptiles
08-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Incubate like this.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/SGVreptiles/DSCN2198.jpg

the moof
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
amazing! congrats! im so jealous!

oscar
08-25-2006, 09:09 PM
thanks guys.. i was planning on calling Jay tonite too, but i got an email from him and it sounds like setting the eggs in a dry medium and then on a moist one is what he recommends too. i'll confirm and let you all know.

Jeff, superb shot. thanks. what temps do you keep them? what do you have and how many have you successfully hatched?

Scott

Palex134
08-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Im pretty sure jeff posted pics of his grandis eggs. good luck oscar, hopefully soon ill have some geckolepis also, congrats on breeding your pair.

JBReptiles
08-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah them be grandis eggs..No geckolepis.But im sure you incubate the same way.I set my incubator for 84 degrees.Had pretty good luck wiht it