PDA

View Full Version : Golden Geckos

Brian
08-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Anyone care to tell me there experiences with these?

crestedtimm
08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
what do you want to know? they can be maintained like a phelsuma, the love babyfood, banannas, katydids,roaches. nocturnal,coldtoleramt. Ill go into detail later...Im tired. Timmm

k-train
08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
i have a breeding pair.
there great geckos, but there extremely fast.
i keep them in a 20 gallon high aquarium with a large corkbark hide in the shape of a tree and plenty of plastic plants (real can be used if you know alot about plants.)
a ground hide is in it, but its rarely used. keep the cage moist, and hight is needed more then length in the cage sinse their arborial.
the cage should have high humitidy, no less then 70% (mines 80%), and temperature should be around 80-85 degrees.

a good substrate for them is reptile carpet, because it absorbs the moisture. (my cage has stayed at 80% humidity for the last week)
they drink from leaves, etc.
and for cleaning the cage : it really depends on the set up. most people say every week but it can be done once or twice a month.

and no lighting is really needed because their nocturnal, but if you do include one for display purposes, etc a regular aquarium light works.
a screen top with a aquarium hood works well for keeping the humidity in.

Kevin McRae
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I've been looking for a pair for awhile now. They use to be everywhere but are now hard to find.

Beautiful geckos anyhow.

sarahjane85
08-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Brian,
I haven't had mine for long (an extra ltc male from Dan Scantlebury) ~ 8 months. I keep him similar above except give a 90-92F hot spot during the day and no heat at night. The gecko room only drops to 76F at night now as it's been really hot and humid here lately. The enclosure is misted daily and I use live plants (Sanseveria "Snake plant" and Pothos "Marble Queen") and cocofiber/soil/sand substrate with both horizontal and vertical slate pieces, and similar cork bark. He loves the vertical slate and top/side of the enclosure, but sometimes I find him resting on the horizontal slate piece hidden by a piece of cork bark or among the snake leaves.

Loves being hand fed freshly molted Lobster roaches and some favorite RIPE fruits are pears, peaches, kiwi, mixed with plain yogurt and fresh blueberries . He tends to eat frequent smaller amounts so I feed him just every other day alternating between live prey and a fruit/yogurt mix (similar to my R. ciliatus). He's gained a substantial amount of weight and is very 'hefty' when I handle him. He doesn't seem to mind the handling but I only do it when absolutely necessary as I think it only creates undue stress.

Sarah.

crestedtimm
09-03-2007, 03:52 AM
mine tolerates handling very well after a few minutes of trying to run away. . anyway, does not seem to mind though.