PDA

View Full Version : anybody here ever breed gehrya vorax

max power
09-08-2006, 03:57 PM
i could use a little help if anyone has any experiance with them.

Palex134
09-08-2006, 05:04 PM
maybe like one person here, if that.

geckoboy
09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Max,
You're probably working with Gehyra marginata unless you paid an arm and a leg for those vorax. True vorax are uncommon in collections, marginata are commonly found through most importers.
Post a pic for us.
Nathan

Phelsumaker
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I have a trio of G. marginata- of course sold to me as G.vorax that all live in the same tank with a small amount of aggression from time to time but no substantial injuries - I also am having a hard time getting them to breed- they are all fat specimen especially my male who is almost twelve inches- I am using uv light during the day and a red basking light at night. heat tape is fixed to the side and runs a standard 90 degrees most of the time-a pretty standard gecko nesting box with vermiculite coconut soil and moss on top - Since their tank is in my room I often hear them and watch them display mating behaviour - just haven't dropped any eggs- I found a good link that explains how the name has been lost in the trade- It took me some research to figure out what I even had but now I definately say G.marginata-I think it suffices to call them halamahera geckos

http://www.mail-archive.com/gecko@gekkota.com/msg04414.html

The best care sheet I have found was put out by pro exotics and has a small section about breeding -

http://www.proexotics.com/care_halmahera.html

sorry no more info but hopefully some people in the community will have some more success and pass on the details -anyone who has more insight please share- Regards-Baker

Robin/ger
09-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Hello,

just wanted to tell that the only G. vorax are the animals of the Fiji Island.

Animals from Vanuatu for example are G. cf. vorax. This species will be hopefully discribesd next year.

I saw a G. vorax once in my life- and that was at the house of Willi Henkel :mrgreen:

max power
09-10-2006, 01:57 PM
the question wasnt the debate of the name, i know what species they are. vorax are just what most people know them as. also imho the differance is so minute that its not worth arguing about. i was just asking if anybody was working with them so i could get some advice.