PDA

View Full Version : Picked up more Holos

Brian
09-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I got another 4.8 These ones are HUGE. They're like gods among regular Holos in some cases. Pics will come eventually.

Coleonyx
09-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Awesome! I hope they do well for you. Did you find out the locality?

Brian
09-15-2006, 01:41 AM
No except for Tanzania. They are also more diverse pattern wise then the ones I got from you. They arn't in as great condition as yours, but they are good for wc.

I guess I'm making up for the fact I didn't get more from you. :wink:

I intend to set them up like yours in 2.4 groups. However tonight they are all together. When I came a couple hours later I walked into a Holo orgy.

Coleonyx
09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Awesome! Do they have the white vertebral stripes? I noticed that mine didn't have as "bright" of a stripe as the ones I saw elsewhere. Just curious. I hope you get eggs out of that night!

geckomaster
09-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Well done Brian. I'm excited you're getting such a diverse bloodline. Hopefully you and I will have some success breeding here soon. I also noticed that the ones I got from Alex don't have as bold of lines and seem smaller than the other ones I got from Mfezi, but they seem to be just as, if not more healthy and much more active. I'm wondering if we have, as Alex seems to have suggested, a variance in localities. It will interesting to see as time goes by. Out of curiosity to you pick these up from the kingsnake ad that was posted last week? Let us know their progress.

Mark

Brian
09-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Yes I did.

They ate last night, but now it's going to be tougher. Last ones came in during that heat wave so I didn't even need to heat them for a week or two.

I got breeding activity after I rehydrated them, but who knows if the females are ready. One has a lot of white speckles.

I was going to PM you the ad geckomaster once I got mine in good condition, but he had pulled it already by the time I got home. Sorry about that. :(

geckomaster
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
No worries, I saw it, but am in a self-imposed ban. I'm going to get rid of my leopards and focus my attention on my other guys. (I got four baby Hainanensis as we speak...I'm so stoked!) I'm glad to hear of the breeding activity. Mine have been hiding a lot more lately, so I'm going to have to round them all up and do a census, though I'm hesitant cause one female looks thinner and may have laid eggs somewhere and I don't want to disturb them if that's the case. When my hainanensis get sexable I'll shoot you a line for a possible swap if you're still interested. Either way when it comes to holos I'm declaring you da man! Keep up the good work.

mark

Brian
09-16-2006, 05:11 PM
By no means. I think a lot more people here have more experience with the Holos. I think I bugged Marcus via PM like 10 times. I simply bought a lot of them so far. :mrgreen: I'm still in the please don't die phase . . . :wink: (Especially because there's 18 now)

I have 4 G. hainanensis egg incubating so far. 2 may be spoken for, but if all of them hatch I'd love to trade. Even if I don't tell me. Maybe I can sell a kidney later. Next few months though I also need to stop buying geckos now . . . :(

Do you have any luii eggs yet? I may have paired mine off to late this year. I should have 3-5 unrelated batches next year though if all goes well.

My Holos (Alex ones) dig in now to a lot and rarely eat very much. They look fat though so I'm not that worried. Ones usually on the surface every night, but it's rare all 6 are out at once.

In fact I may need to set the new ones up in smaller groups. These new ones are big enough that 2.4 seems a little cramped.

Now that I look at them except for size they do look like Alex's. One is white speckled more, a few are darker, but all are in what you'd expect for variation in a population. None have the super bright white stripe you see in some pics though.

Afelinus
09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Brian,dont ever think you are bugging me.Just alot going on,and right now,alot Im going through physically.Lots of healing,means lots of pain.I think I tend to favor people like yourself when you single out a gecko that has been less than easy to acclimate.I think thats whats needed to stop redundant importation and certain death.PM me when you get a chance,as I have question for you.talk soon,Marcus.

geckomaster
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM
no Luii eggs yet, but hopefully soon. I have to dig my holos up to check on them as the ones from Alex may have just been subadult and haven't been out much lately. I'll let you know if there's any huge diff.

Mark

Reptiluvr
09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Please let me know what happens with those H. africana. I've been contemplating on getting several for some time now. How are you successfully keeping them? Please describe, I would love to know.

Brian
09-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Hey so I was an idiot and dug my 6 (Alex batch) up and they were all fine just really ticked about being dug up. I even got a couple to vocalize at me.

I think I will need to seperate two in particular. One male keeps stressing out a particular female.

Reptiluvr, I have only had mine a very short time. I'm not even sure I am doing everything right yet, I suggest looking at the Eyelash Gecko book and The Leopard Gecko (Complete Guide to Eublepharine geckos) and checking out the Holo chapters first.

geckomaster
09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I used a combination of a bark hide, hamster tubing, and eco earth. It seems to have worked really well. I have noticed that the males like to come out and bask (utilizing a heat lamp as opposed to an undertank heater) and like the basking area to be dry, so I keep the corners under the lamps dry and the rest of the tank moist in which they keep their burrows or utilize the tubing and/or hide. Definitely pick some up as they are truly my favorite geckos to have worked with up to this point.

geckomaster
09-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Brian, as to the striping. They were out in good numbers last night and I could tell that the ones that were biggest were darker with a more pronounced stripe. I'm thinking it's more of an age thing at this point in time.

Brian
09-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Actually now that they've been here for a bit they look similiar mostly. There is also a bit of overlap in size.

I segragated them into three colonies of 2.4 They all seem in good condition. Can I ask something else of the Holo keepers. What substrate mix do you prefer. My latest batch was way to sandy. The geckos did not like it.

Afelinus
09-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Brian,I just posted in Allens forum on one of your Holo posts about that.

Brian
09-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Thank You. If any other Holo keeper wants I list of Holo articles or books mentioning them I've found I'll post that. It's very short like three. One mentions the male aggression (lack of) though.