PDA

View Full Version : gargoyle gecko groups????

oli
09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Hey, was wondering if any of you kept your gargoyles in a group, say 1:2, or 1:3. or say even 1:5. I heard the females bully the male around sometimes, even making them drop their tale sometimes. Has anyone experienced this??? I have an enclosure the size of a 55 gallon long tank with one male in it, and I want to add some females when the breeding time is right. Any info or experience that anyone's had with this set-up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....

HouseholderGeckos
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
It is definitely possible that your females will take his tail, good news is it comes back fairly quickly and he will probably still get the job done. I have two really big retic females that will bully any male you put in with them no matter what. I have eight others that don't seem to be overly aggressive.

I keep them currently 1.5, 1.2, 1.3. My striped male in the 1.2 group is the only one that has never lost a tail. Only two females have ever lost a tail since I had them on the other hand. Both from the 1.3 group.

don't know how helpful this is, but that is my experience.

snmreptiles
09-29-2006, 01:50 AM
We tried keeping a 1.2 group last year in a 29 gallon...Let's just say after 2 months I had 1.0, as both of the females died.

This year I tried conjugal visits with the same male, and ended producing a few goyles! I won't try keeping them together again, not worth it!!

Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

MiCh@3L
09-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I kept R. auriculatus in a group of 1.4 and ended up with 1.1.
Now I keep them seperate and put the male just for mating in the tank of one female. After the copulation or 3 nights the male goes back.

Michael

oli
09-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, i'm sorry about your losses. Thankyou for your experiences tho, it will definitely persuade my decision about putting them together in groups. That's all that I needed to hear.