PDA

View Full Version : Gargoyle gecko info

oli
09-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey, was wondering if any of you kept your gargoyles in a group, say 1:2, or 1:3. or say even 1:5. I heard the females bully the male around sometimes, even making them drop their tale sometimes. Has anyone experienced this??? I have an enclosure the size of a 55 gallon long tank with one male in it, and I want to add some females when the breeding time is right. Any info or experience that anyone's had with this set-up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....

Haroldo
09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey Oliver, nice to see you made it over here. I'm glad you liked the male auriculatus.
As far as breeding harems, I know someone that does keep them like that (in a 1.4 I believe), but I personally do not. I keep all my animals separate and simply cycle the male into the female's cage. In a 55g, I would really like to see more height, but it will certainly do just fine. Given the sometimes agressive behavior of auriculatus, I would consider a 1.2 or maybe a 1.3 for that size cage. You will have to plant it very well to ensure each one has their own niche. Best of luck with him. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Perhaps Tamara?

GeckoFiend
09-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I had 1.2 in a 29 gallon with no problems at all. I think that as long as you give them plenty of hiding spots and a separate food dish for each one scattered throughout the cage, you'll be fine. Of course, it also depends on the individual geckos. Some are more friendly than others.

oli
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Cool thanks for the help. Hey Harold, he doesn't seem to really eat that fruit diet by t-rex, the crested gecko meal replacement stuff or the clarks gecko diet. I put a new capful of fresh stuff in every day and he doesn't really eat it. Any suggestions? He must be eating the crickets I've been throwing in the cage. I think there should be plenty of room in my cage for a few females, since I decked it out with all kinds of wood, and bamboo poles going everywhere, there's even a vine in there.

Haroldo
09-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Cool thanks for the help. Hey Harold, he doesn't seem to really eat that fruit diet by t-rex, the crested gecko meal replacement stuff or the clarks gecko diet. I put a new capful of fresh stuff in every day and he doesn't really eat it. Any suggestions? He must be eating the crickets I've been throwing in the cage. I think there should be plenty of room in my cage for a few females, since I decked it out with all kinds of wood, and bamboo poles going everywhere, there's even a vine in there.

Hmm, I would try mixing a bit of fruit in with the diet then. All of my Rhacs hear are on the diet plain and just get a fruit treat every now and then. I think he may be getting "spoiled" with crix, as they were a rarity in my care and you see how pudgy he is. :wink: If you want him to eat more of the diet, try not offering him crickets for a while. Shouldn't take him long to get back into the normal swing of things. Give me a call if you need anymore help Oliver.
Best,

Harold

oli
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM

Haroldo
09-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Frugivorous diet is not a complete diet, so if you're going to use it, you have to supplement with nutritionally balanced prey.

oli
10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
[
Frugivorous diet is not a complete diet, so if you're going to use it, you have to supplement with nutritionally balanced prey.

As far as finger tips missing, shoot me a pic. He's never had a bad shed, was kept singly in an 18g screen cage with 50% or better room humidity. I think there might be some confusion. He's a big boy and I have a notion that he'll be rather large once he starts to level off.

Edit: Oliver I just looked at the pics of the male I sent you, as well as the 20 auriculatus I currently have in my collection (10 adults, 10 young). I think I know what you are referring to and if you are, it's completely natural. They were born that way and it's not anything missing. Shoot me an email so I can show you what I'm talking about and we can clear things up on this board...[/quote]