PDA

View Full Version : Taking your geckos into the sun

booboo
10-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I have heard many good thngs of providing your geckos with natural sunlight! However my quetion is do you bring out their entire enclsure or bring them out in a temporary container where they can bask then you put them back in?

Joe Farah
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Hey Booboo

I try to bring my juvies and breeding females out for some sun at least once a week during the warm months of the year. I usually take them out of their normal enclosures and put them in an all-screen chameleon cage. I make sure that half of the screen cage is in the shade so I don't cook them.

booboo
10-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok that is pretty much what i figured. Thanks for the information.

Also which Uv bulbs do you recomend like the 5.0 or 10.0 i am still not up to par with which lights i should provide.

the moof
10-20-2006, 11:10 AM
i think the moving thing depends largely on the species. which are you looking at?

Haroldo
10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
i think the moving thing depends largely on the species. which are you looking at?

Interesting point Mark. For example, I wouldn't too much to take my lineata outside, buy I would never consider doing so for species like ornata or guimbeuii. Disturbing an animal for exposure to natural sunlight should be an afterthought to the very nature of the species in question.

-Harold

Joe Farah
10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
booboo,

I dont really know what lights are best, but I use Reptisun 8.0 alongside high lumen normal flourescents. I've never used a 10.0, but I use the 5.0s sometimes. Even a 2.0 would work if there was a basking spot right under the bulb. I dont think they (Phelsuma) need tons of UV and many would argue they dont need any! Not me though.

the moof
10-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Interesting point Mark. For example, I wouldn't too much to take my lineata outside, buy I would never consider doing so for species like ornata or guimbeuii. Disturbing an animal for exposure to natural sunlight should be an afterthought to the very nature of the species in question.

correct, hence my justification of the question. the idea of the screen cage is a good one, but it is important not to stresss the animal, and also for some, humidity is vital, even for short periods of time.

Joe, I would be willing to disagree. In the wild these geckos recieve a large amount of UV light, and in our attempts to keep and cultivate them, we must try to repliacte their natural environment to a large extent. Hence, I would never house them without UV.

Joe Farah
10-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I have fresh UV bulbs over every PHelsuma at all times and I take them out in the sun. I would never house them without UV either.

read what I wrote again, I think you misunderstood me.

the moof
10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Good good. Just making sure. :lol: no ill intent.

Joe Farah
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
:)

booboo
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I am planning on P. klemmeri! I imagine they would love the natural sun everyonce and a while.

Phelsumaker
10-20-2006, 09:00 PM
My P.klemmeri love to be taken out into the sun for short durations. I usally give them a good spray down before we go outside to further insure they are well hydrated. I definately agree with Joe it is always best to leave half of the enclosure shaded so the little geckos can regulate their temps-Baker