PDA

View Full Version : Terrarium size for Naultinus?

BlackMetalMaster
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I was just wondering what Terrarium sizes you use for your Naultinus? My outside one is quite big, 70 * 70 * 120 cm and I'm thinking of keeping them in smaller cages in the future as it makes handling easier.

Regards,

BMM

GeckoTom
11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I have 30x30x60

regards
Thomas

Tariq Stark
11-13-2006, 06:42 AM
I'de love to see some of your setups for Naultinus spp. I'm designing with a lot of help from a fellow breeder an outside enclosure for R. ciliatus for a small behavorial project for the summer 2007. Maybe we can design it as such that it will be suitable Naultinus spp in the future. It will be an all screencage with plexiglass sliding doors when the wheather gets cold. The whole thing will have dimensions of 100-50-100 centimeters.

Thanks in advance.

Tariq

mario
11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
too big. naultinus are most time "sit and wait" predators. I use 50 cm (l) x 50 cm (b) x 60 cm (h) for the grayii. and 30 cm (l) x 30 cm (b) x 45 cm (h) for elegans.

Tariq Stark
11-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Hi Mario,

Thank you for the advice. I must admit it seems somewhat small to me, but hey if it works it works! On the website of the New Zealand Herpetological Society ( http://www.reptiles.org.nz/index.htm ) I found quite larger measurements for outside enclosures. For thermoregulation (etc) it would make more sense I think. But I will take your advice in considiration. Maybe I will make the enclosure as such that it can be divides in smaller sections. Thanks again.

Tariq

Mickej
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
what about tempratures for naultinus...?? How do you keep them and at waht temprature levels??

best regards

Michael Jonasson

NZGecko30
01-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I keep my Grayii in a 60x60x90 cage, this fits a good breeding population of 3 animals, 2 females and 1 male, and is big enough not to cause serious fighting, but not too big that u lose them within it, or that they are unable to find the food items in the cage.

I also have a lone e.elegans in a 60x60x60 cage, this size is alot more useful for a single animal and comes in handy when seperating out males while they are on a breeding rotation within the captive population or if an animal has been hurt or sick, previously this young male was in the cage with the grayii and was in alot of fights with the grayii male (his names agro) and he sufferd quite alot of small bite wounds around the neck and base of the tail.

mario
01-28-2007, 05:50 AM
sorry - but i canīt understand why you keep naultinus grayii and elegans together. 1st of all you can loose the elegans in a fight or he can get injured and you also risk hybrids when you keep them together

this animals are so rare - donīt risk to loose

NZGecko30
01-28-2007, 06:49 AM
hi mario, i can understand where your coming from, hybrids are definately a possability within captivity which is why i do not allow breeding size animals in the same cage, the elegans was below breeding size and age and was not in the cage during the breeding season.

The fighting is also a big possability which is why the elegans being in this cage was a temporary fixture, stupid on my part though i do admit mario, but i would never permenantly put any animal into that sort of situation i would rather he not be in the situation ever but i had recieved this animal around 3 weeks before the 60x60x60 cage was compleated. although there was fighting between them, nothing was very serious he did not sustain any deep bites and would have been removed if the situation had become worse and would be placed into another cage for the time.

These geckos are very rare even within thier home country and breeders try thier best to provide the best conditions possible for thier survival. I feel horrible about the choice that i made and i accept that it was my fault and terribly stupid, but i have definately learnt from that mistake.

i would rather not start or be involved in any fights within these boards, i joined to gain information about these species from people who apear to be doing very well with thier own animals and hope to benefit my own geckos from info that is more readily available than that within nz.

GeckoTom
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi

everbody makes mistakes! To learn from the mistakes is the point!

I think in this part of the forum a keeper and breeder from NZ is very much welcome!
Please stay here and try to get some information from your people!

The problem is that every frog or toad in europe is studied a hundred times but NZ animals are of not much interest in the NZ herpetology groups! I dont know why, but it seems to be that way! :?

There is so much to learn about the animals! How do they reproduce, how are the babies growing inside! How everything works! How do they manage to survive with such low temperatures!

It would be great to share the infos and experences here, but not much response was here in the last few months!

Regards
Tom

NZGecko30
02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi Tom
Thats the career that I'm aiming for :D , finding out more about these strange little lizards and how they work.

GeckoTom
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Tom
Thats the career that I'm aiming for :D , finding out more about these strange little lizards and how they work.

Then you are really lucky! Aaron Bauer will come and talk about his work in NZ Geckos in June in Christchurch!

Cheers
Thomas