PDA

View Full Version : Gargoyle egglaying

Rotto
11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
My female gargoyle is starting to look a bit more stout than usual, not sure if shes just putting on weight or if she has eggs. She has only spent a short time with a male, which was about 1-2 months ago...

However I'm interested in their egglaying behavior for future reference. Do they have any special demands in this aspect? Do they bury their eggs well, or just put them on the ground? I keep it in a natural setup with a thick layer of soil, covering the entire bottom of the tank.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/RickardHallberg/RA.jpg

Haroldo
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
She does look rather plump, but I'm not sure she's gravid as many of my females look like that even in the off-season. Before laying, you should notice her inspecting suitable laying spots. She'll insticitively find a moist place to lay them--which she will bury. Recently, one of my females (that has never been with or around a male auriculatus), gave me a dud clutch which she laid in her food cup (she didn't have a lay box or moist hide). Just be sure to keep her well supplied with calcium and a moist place to lay.