PDA

View Full Version : New diet flavor results

Stickytoe
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Previously I have been raising all my Rhacodactylus on the Repashy/T-Rex diet for a long time now. They would eat most of it, but there would always be a little bit of food left in the bottom of the dishes. I would throw all the dishes in my roach cage so they could clean it off. (the diet is great for roaches too!).

Recently I tried the new formulation that Allen Repashy has put out. He basically split up the good, nutritious part of the diet (Base) and the sugary part (flavor). There are now many flavors to try and choose from.

I have since tried the Apricot and Mango flavors on my collection of Cresteds, Gargoyles, Leachianus and Chahoua. I was not expecting my geckos to like it THAT MUCH. Wow. Every dish was licked clean. No food remaining at all.

In the next couple weeks I will be trying all the flavors (mango, apricot, banana, cherry, kiwi, blueberry, peach, guava) and continue to report the results for each flavor. I may also try different mixtures as well.

I work at a zoo, and we are always trying to come up with different methods to offer environmental enrichment to the captive animals. Since they are in a 'constant' environment, it is necessary for their psycological and physical well being to offer different forms of environmental enrichment.
It's a little bit more difficult with reptiles, but I personally think these new diets are a great way to offer enrichment by offering different smells and tastes and introducing the element of choice to the geckos.

Just my 2 cents.....

kozmo
11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Very cool, I'll have to give these a try.

royy
02-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Definantly gonna give it a try. Know what you mean about the roaches, they clean up good :wink: