PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the database

Marlies
12-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Hello Everybody,

Since Nathan was kind enough to make me admin so I could help out, I'm actually am going to do something: Cleaning up the database

Lately, there have been a lot of spammer accounts, and they are piling up like crazy. I'm going to delete ALL of them in the next few days. It could happen that I delete a normal account accidentally in the progress. Iím trying to prevent this off course. Itís mainly accounts that havenít been activated, or sometimes have one post. If I do accidentally delete your account: Iím sorry in advance, but this maintenance is really needed. Just open a new account and everything will be ok!

Greetings,
Marlies

Nathan Hall
12-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Marlies, this has been a long time coming. Thanks so much. It amazes me how many bogus accounts and spammers there were. If you happen to delete valid accounts by accident, I'm sure people will understand that we are doing it for the good of the forums. Once we get the new version of phpBB, I think that all of the automated accounts will be cut way back or even eliminated. I got really tired of manually deleting 25-75 bogus accounts a day!!!!

spidergecko
12-26-2006, 09:28 AM
This is a daily occurance for me on Geckoworld. I delete 5-10 accounts a day but it doesn't slow them. The unfortunate part is that the spammers don't use seem to use the same account twice so whether they are left there or not, it doesn't slow the spammers.

But it does clean things up so good luck to you!

Geckophile Admin
12-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, if we can just knock it back by 50-75%, that would be super. We can easily manage that. I've deleted as many as 100-150 in a day here. Thanks for your input, Mike.

SelectGex
12-26-2006, 10:42 AM
One idea is to require posters to post in the "Introduction Forum" before posting anywhere else. This is an idea friend presented to me when we discussed the spam bots being about to get around the image to register, as well as email replies.

TM Geckos
12-27-2006, 08:05 PM
That's why I had no more accounts...

I thought I was banned for I don't know which reason...
There's no way to have the old messages back ?

Marlies
12-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Hello T&M Geckos,

No I'm sorry... Like I said, it could happen that I deleted one or two accounts that weren't supposed to be deleted, but since I deleted about 2000(!!) spammers accounts, it is easy to mistake sometimes. So again I'm sorry.

12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I supposed I was killed as well.. probably because of my e-mail listed as geckosunlimited.com@mydomain.dk... :/