PDA

View Full Version : Cat Gecko Advice Please

rogerbird78
01-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I am new here so Hi everyone!

Please can anyone provide me with some advice on a new Cat baby I have.

Baby is around 6 weeks old and was on peat/soil when I got him from the pet store so I changed him straight to paper towel to avoid impaction.

Due to this the humidity is harder to maintain, any tricks to keep humidity up?

At what age can he be moved to a more natural substrate?

Do they eat locusts?

I am worried he is not eating, could this be due to stress from moving to a new home as I know they suffer stress easier than other gecko's?

Thanks.

Roger.

kenya_1977
01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I would try to get a source of either roaches or crickets that are small enough to feed. They prefer items that are softer bodied than locust.

To keep up humidity just cover about 80% of the enclosure, mist at least once a day, and even keep a little dish of water in there.

These guys don't eat as avidly as a leopard gecko, so they will only be eating every few days. 2-3 times a week, 2 prey items that are appropriate size (1/2 the size of the head).

rogerbird78
01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I would try to get a source of either roaches or crickets that are small enough to feed. They prefer items that are softer bodied than locust.

To keep up humidity just cover about 80% of the enclosure, mist at least once a day, and even keep a little dish of water in there.

These guys don't eat as avidly as a leopard gecko, so they will only be eating every few days. 2-3 times a week, 2 prey items that are appropriate size (1/2 the size of the head).

Thanks for the advice.

I have a bowl of pure calcium in with my cresties and leo's at all times.

Would this be ok for the cat gecko?

Out of the 2/3 feedings per week should I dust with multi-vit powder for just one of these feedings?

Thanks.

kenya_1977
01-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't bother keeping calcium in with these guys. They have a tendency to get overloaded with minerals. I'd only dusk their feed every 3rd feeding at best. Less is better. You could go as infrequently as once every two weeks with dusking their food.

rogerbird78
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Please could you also tell me in your opinion what the best Temp & Humidity levels should be for day & night?

Thanks.

Sorry for asking so many questions but I just want to make sure I am doing the best I can for the little fella.

kenya_1977
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Actually, if you cruise through this forum on cat geckos you'll find a ton of information from many different keepers.

I keep my geckos anywhere from 68-78. Juveniles would do best to be kept a little on the warmer end because we want them to eat a bit more.

Humidity varies, but really needs to be high for the proper health and shedding of young cat geckos. In the wild it's anywhere from 60-100%. I would say keeping 80% would be sufficient.

rogerbird78
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all your replies Kenya.

I take it tap water(UK) & bottled mineral water are no good for these guys?

thanks

rogerbird78
01-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Just to let you know I managed to source some RO water from a local aquarium shop, so I have changed to this instantly.

Is there any need to provide a water bowl or will the cat gecko drink from the water droplets that I spray into the viv??

Also should I register my cat gecko on to your database, or is this just for the US not the UK?

Thanks.

Roger.

herperboy
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
The database is for everyone. The creator (Marlies) actually lives in the Netherlands.