PDA

View Full Version : Climbing the walls?

Xanadu1
01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a 8 month old female Pictus Gecko. She has a screen lid on her viv but actually escaped a few months ago. I found her 8 days later...she was fine. I now lock the lid in place. I heard that these geckos can scale glass while they're young...how old or how big are they when they can't anymore? I found my girl like this last night...she'd shed the night before.

http://photos.imageevent.com/heatheranddenis/hatchlingpictusgecko/websize/aaclimb1.jpg

There's nothing high in her enclosure...I've taped papertowels about 1/3 of the way up so she doesn't go underneath them. I think she's climbing the papertowel then on up to the screen...I doubt she can leap up to the lid from the towel, can she? I'm going to put some stuff in her viv that she can climb on. I kinda feel bad she wants out so badly. :?

Reptiluvr
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
She can climb the glass. Sometimes it takes hard work and many times they won't bother. But keep in mind they can.

Xanadu1
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Can they their whole lives or just when they're young?

Reptiluvr
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Their whole lives. They seem to be much better at it when they're young. Maybe they just climb more frequently when they're young. I'm not sure.

Xanadu1
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I was thinking they could do it when they're young because they're so lightweight. Hmm I don't know. Thanks for the info...I'll keep the lid locked forever...lol

geckomaster
01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Some of the more agile terrestrial geckos can actually use the silicone in the corners as a partial foothold and ascend that way. I got a C. pulchellus a month ago. There was nothing high in his tank for him to get a grasp on the edge, but I found him roaming around in my room. Later observation showed he was using the silicone with two limbs and bracing with the others. It was a slow process, but he eventually made it to the top. He now has a lid :D