PDA

View Full Version : Gonatodes and Sphaerodactylus questions

slygecko
01-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, all these posts of great sphaeros and gonies have really piqued my interest. Awesome geckos, guys! I was wondering if you could lay out a few basics for me. What would be the recommended 'beginner' species for someone without experience with them? Whats the standard setup? Do you need to culture small insects? Are these guys really hard to get?

Thanks,
Nick

Starrynightexotics
01-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Good beginner species would be S. elegans and G. albogularis or vittatus, definitely hardy, easy to keep and breed species. A good general setup would be a 2.5 gal for the Sphaeros or a 5.5 gallon for the Gonatodes. For the sphaeros set it up with more of a terrestrial theme, whereas the Gonatodes would appreciate a semi arboreal type of theme. Theres obviously more to it, if you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

By the way, culturing fruit flies, springtails, firebrats,isopods or lateralis roaches would help alot once you started producing babies, but not even the smallest of my hatchlings hasnt been able to handle a pinhead cricket.

slygecko
01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks! A few more q's - can they be kept in more than pairs? Would a 10-gallon be too much space?

It'll be at least till summer before I can seriously consider getting anything, but if I do I'll be sure to come back here and grill ya for the good info. Thanks!

Cheers,
Nick

yuri
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I tried a large group (about seven individuals) of Sphaerodactylus elegans elegans in a 20 gallon long tank. They were all nice and chunky when I pulled some out, but there was really no breeding activity. I have a large pile of cork tubes, cork flats, oak bark pieces. There was a soil substrate which was seeded with springtails and isopods. I would usually leave a fruit fly culture inside as well as feed fruit flies and crickets. So there was lots of food, but again no breeding results. It now has four individuals, so we will see how things work with a lower population density.

Most of the folks I have talked to who have had success breeding these keep them in small containers singly or in pairs.

Thanks! A few more q's - can they be kept in more than pairs? Would a 10-gallon be too much space?

It'll be at least till summer before I can seriously consider getting anything, but if I do I'll be sure to come back here and grill ya for the good info. Thanks!

Cheers,
Nick