PDA

View Full Version : THE BASICS ON C.ELOK CARE

Uroplatus
01-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Hey guys!

Its a pitty to find no elok caresheet.
Maybe anybody can tell us shortly the basics!

Temperature/Humidity/Lightning...Cage sizes.
I see in your collections glass tanks, plastic tanks and also aquariums with gaze on top. How do you handle ventilation! Let us see tank pics!

kenya_1977
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Housing:

I recommend a minimum of a 10G tank for two geckos. As of yet I've not had any problems housing mine communally. I have not had more than one male, so I will not speak of male-male interaction given I haven't witnessed any.

I have branches from oak trees in the tanks. The majority of the time I find the geckos curled up in the dried leaves as a hide. Only rarely do they hide on the ground.

I have the full top as screen with a mister that turns on for one minute at night. I use RO filtered water in the mister system given that my A. felinus are on the same system. I find these guys can take more air flow than cat geckos.

Feeding:

I feed these guys heavily and more frequently. I would say that I allow for about 3-4 prey items to each animal 3-4 times a week. I also make sure to dust them at least once a week, if not twice.

I don't really worry about lighting with these guys. As long as you're using a vitamin D supplimented calcium, I would only worry about providing lighting if you are using live plants.

Hope this helps.

ICU844
01-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I am presently housing 2.4 Eloks I will post a website with some photos of some of the geckos as well as the cages they are housed in. JERRY

Uroplatus
01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your replies!

Next week i get a group of eloks, i will share you pics, if i have them home.
Please let me see your tank pics, because at the weekend i would fit my tank.

Day- and Night-temperatures? How often you mist?

kenya_1977
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
My tank is really purely functional and not for aesthetics. So, I'm not sure a picture will really help you. Just imagine you go outside to a tree with leaves on it, cut off a good sized branch with lots of leaves, and stick it in a tank. I have a peat mix as substrate, and that's my tank.

Bowfinger
02-03-2007, 12:05 AM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1579/dsc02239vh5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
I used natural plants and lights with good luck prior to this set up. I now use artificial plants with no lighting. I mist by hand all cages to allow for adjusting moisture. Various hide spots are used to give some choice for hiding and egg laying.

Uroplatus
02-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks for replies!

I get my 1.2 next week and than i will share you some pics...
Tomorrow i fit my setup, i choose an tank with size on 1,5feetx2feetx3feet.

Are you spray osmotic filtered water?
Are elok hide the eggs in the ground/leaves or put there in bamboo?

see you...

kenya_1977
02-03-2007, 10:13 AM
They bury their eggs in the substrate.

Uroplatus
02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok.

Softshell eggs, are they brake easy?
Spray you osmotic filtered water?

see you...

kenya_1977
02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I already mentioned that I use RO water because my cat geckos are on the same misting system.

The eggs are hard shelled. The first two eggs I got were actually laid in transit and did not get damaged (I have two almost 5 month old elok to show for it).

Uroplatus
02-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Ok!
How incubate them? Like Uroplatus eggs?
What supplements you feed?

see you...

Bowfinger
02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Incubate just like your Uroplatus eggs.

supplements just like your Uroplatus, but add Calcium with D-3

ICU844
02-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I put up a small website of some of the Eloks and the units that they are housed in. 1.2 in each cage. They seem to be doing fine. Hopefully I can increase my population. JERRY
http://www.jtresser.com/ELOK.html

Uroplatus
02-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Looks like, that your guys are happy :)

German keepers meens, that spraying with osmotic water is a must to have success with elok.

In Supplements you find the same calciumcarbonat as in non-filtered water. Can you explain that?

Thanks in advice.

see you...