View Full Version : Calcium and D3?

02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I would assume that a nocturnal gecko would not need D3 supplements?
I notice a few say to dust with calcium.with specifying with or without D3.

.If insects are the natural diet and its a nonherbivore why would it need calcium at all except whats in the insects naturally?
But if I should dust the insect with calcium, how often?

02-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Wild geckos would get a balanced diet of insects that eat multiple things. Not just crickets that say eat only a carrot.

Nocternal animals still use a D3/Ca pathway reactions, they just might not synthesize it from UVB rays. They just would get it or precursors from the diet.

02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
So how often would I dust with D3 calcium? I am very leary of using too much cause I know it can be toxic if used too often..
With my other lizards I dust with plain calcium every day and D3, 3 times a week does that sound good for the Tokays?

02-13-2007, 05:30 AM
It would really depend on the level of vit. D in the supplement. I don't really have the right Tokay experience to tell you how often. My advice would be to follow the supplementation that someone who's kept the animals alive for a few years.

If no one else responds you can try and PM someone who looks like they know what they are doing.

02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Honestly Ive been on several boards and Tokays are rare or just boring for most people and they dont want to talk about them much. Its even rarer to find someone with any real experience..Everyone has leos or cresties.Kinda frustrating and depressing.
I guess its cause they arent cuddly.

02-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Look at this forum and see who seems to have had them for a while. Barring that you might be able to adapt what someone used for another Gekko species.

I'm guessing you could probably get away with frequent supplementation.

However, if you were to do a really good varied gutload you'd probably be OK too.

02-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I dust my tokays crickets every other feeding sometimes more when they are breeding. I would recomned to do it atleast that for young tokays and breeding tokays and for the adutls atleast twice a week and make sure you get a good gutload for your crickets, roaches or what ever you are using to feed them.

02-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I personally dust with calcium every feed and once a week with vits. Has worked for me so far. I don't think they need the UV for D3.

02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I dust my crickets with Repcal phosperus free.