PDA

View Full Version : UV-B for Eurydactylodes?

Rotto
02-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Does anyone use UV-B for their Eurydactylodes? I read in a publication that Eurydactylodes might be partly dinural, wich is something that my own observations support.

So is there anyone out there using UV-B lights for Eurys? If so, have you noticed any effects from it (changes in apperance, behavior etc)?

BR
Rickard

DDReptiles
02-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Mine do move quite a bit during the day, but even more at night. I don't see how it could hurt, I don't use it though.

Ken Bartenfeld
02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I noticed they lighten up with a fluro over top. Same with a basking light. They tended to stay where the temps were near 90 with the basking light too. I am going to post a little care sheet I made about 3 months ago. Gotta get it off my old computer.

Rotto
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Sound great Ken!

Tariq Stark
04-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi Rickard,

There is actually some evidence that Eurydactylodes maybe primarely diurnal in habit (Bauer and Withaker, 2004). They give 4 compelling arguments why Eurydactylodes spp maybe diurnal. I suggest you read the following article (page 51,52,53):

Whitaker, A.H., Sadlier, R.A., Bauer, A.M. and Whitaker, V.A. 2004. Biodiversity and Conservation Status of Lizards in Threatened and Restricted Habitats of North-Western New Caledonia. Report by Whitaker Consultants Limited to Direction du Développement Économique et de l’Envirinnement, Province Nord, Koné. vi + 106 pp.

Because of this I started offering my own animals direct sunlight several times a week (right now they are still small enough to live in faunaboxes/critterkeepers). I just put the whole cage outside. UV-B can pass through the plastic and the lid. I keep a wachtfull eye on draft and heat. They actively seek out the sun and bask for quite a long time. During these "session" the feed very readily (woodlice, spiders, etc) and are more alert and active. For me it is way to soon to draw any conclusions out of my own observations but I thought it maybe helpfull to share them.

Tariq

Rotto
04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, i have read that report also. But from my own oservations i would say that they are much more active at night, compared to daytime. I've tried using a UV-b bulb for a couple off weeks now, without any noticable effects yet.

However, I guess that, since they dont seek dark shelters during the day, UV-b exposure is natural (and hence probably healthy) for them.

BR
Rickard